Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Living with a HUERNIA

I have this huernia that is growing a crest. Once it gets a little bigger, I'll start it off in it's own pot. It was to be a Huernia Pillansii but when it bloomed, it was way too dark. Has anyone ever heard of a crested huernia? Right now it is the size of a nickel. Looks almost like a cactus paddle.

Comments (34)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Stan, that is way cool! I wish you the best in getting off on its own. I know you'll keep us in the loop. Any chance you have a pic of when it did flower? I have a small cutting that I saved from my plant... I've had a real time trying to grow this one for some reason... and yours looks so healthy!

Howard

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

Nice. Looking healthy and happy. I just got a starter plant couple week ago. I'm in the asclepiadaceae collecting mood now :D

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Howard,
    How's your plants growing I sent you? The huernia that you sent me didn't do so well, my fault. The window was a little open. Couldn't tell untill I locked it. The cold draft did in the yellow one. A small chance it could still live. The very tips are solid but rest is mush. It is in my intenseive care unit. The H. zebrina is now 5 small peices and seems to be doing ok. Rest is ok.
    I have always been lucky with seed so I purchased about 100 Stapeliad mix and 50 Huernia mix. I'll post next week with pictures.
    It is not a H. schneideriana but still may be a H. pillansii due to the flowers are the same but mine is darker.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hey! Nice plant....and great Thread title ;-)

Josh

• teisa
    10 years ago

Stush, I felt a little sorry for you reading the title. :)

But that is Beautiful!! I love it! GREAT COLOR!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Stan, once again I'm having major brain cramps this morning.. I'll have to go take my Midol...LOL (no offense, Ladies). Anyway, Stan, I can't recall what you sent me but nothing has died recently. If your memory is working, let me know (email) and I will respond. This is what is left of my H. pillansii. H. zebrine seems to be very resilient. It's one Huernia you just can't kill!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I love how yours is so much darker than mine. Even zebrine was dark and once in my house, lighten up to green. Still doing well.
    Wait till you go past 60. Then the real brain cramps come in.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Stan.... I'm almost 67! Been having cramps for years....LOL!
    Don't forget to write me about what you sent, unless, of course, you're having one of those cramps...Ha!

The sun turns the color. Just took this pic of my stock plant.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Howard..I would probably kill one! Yours is such a great color...Don't feel bad, I am a few years younder and get brain cramps starting as oon as I get up all day...Guess we could blame it on our weather...

Stan...You seem to grow every thing so beautifully...I love it..It's a winner in my eyes...

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, your too kind. I love Howard's color on his huernia and so well developed.
    Think about it. If the above got out to the wrong thread, it would take on new meaning. Ouch!
    Stush

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, your too kind. I love Howard's color on his huernia and so well developed.
    Think about it. If the above got out to the wrong thread, it would take on new meaning. Ouch!
    Stush

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

So, I'm reading all this and feeling a bit uncomfortable and then I realize that Stush's huernia HAS a hernia and I just had to walk away.

Nice, uh, protuberance you have there, Stush.

tj

Original Author
    10 years ago

Very funny tj. Like it. It got a little larger and got picture to post later.
    Up date to tell I got my Huernia seeds and Stapelia seeds. The Stapelia seeds came last week and got 1/3 germinated already. Planting the Huernia seeds this weekend.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Update; My Huernia seeds are sprouting. Looks like most all of them. They also look exactly like their cousin Stapelia. Come to think of it. Most all cactus look that way also. Any advise as to when to seperate them and how. First timer on this one. Thanks,
    Stush

Original Author
    10 years ago

Update;;;
    Crest is still growing and becoming nice.
    It is the size of a quarter now.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Very cool, Stush! I can't wait to see this plant develop.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Update;
    It seems that the crest is still growing. There are several new sprouts coming out from all along the edge. Rest of plant is dormant. I know I will have to remove this growth sooner or later. I was hoping to do so in another month.
    Does any one know what the lowest temps these can take?
    Stush

Original Author
    10 years ago

Huernia is still growing. No new growth on any where else.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Update; Broke off arm to pot up byitself. Noticed two tiny white roots already on bottom of stem. Should be a fair indication that it will take root.
    Stush

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Does the top remaing part from cutting callus over and continue with normal growing ?

• danbonsai
    9 years ago

Very cool Stush; great colour and form. Want one!

Can't wait to see its future progress.

I'm curious to know if the new crest will inherit the same flowering traits as the parent plant, or does that change on crested growth?

Dan

• PaulaZ
    9 years ago

Hello Everyone, I am brand new to Gardenweb and relatively a novice to my Succulents and other plants. Here is my Huernia Zebrina .... it was in bloom when I bought it. So I hope I can keep her/him happy & healthy. All tips appreciated. I am in Pittsburgh and hope to connect with nearby enthusiasts!

• hijole
    9 years ago

Stush, great looking collection you have buddy, I have to admit though when I first glanced at your title I thought you had hurt yourself moving all your pots outside. So good to see your huernia is a plant and not a condition. Silly name for a plant lol..

Greg

Original Author
    9 years ago

nomen_nudum,
    It was cut off at the base of the mother plant. Almost can't notice it was ever there. That's why there are a few roots started to grow. It was at ground level.
    Danbonsai,
    I am curious as well as this is the first time I ever saw one.
    Paula,
    Welcome. I am from the Pittsburgh area as well.
    Bikerdoc has some nice H. zebrina as well and shared with me and a lot of people here. They are a nice plant.
    Greg,
    You got to go on You-Tube and load "Weird Al" Yankovic - Living With A Hernia while reading this post.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg
    One of my favorit.

• PaulaZ
    9 years ago

Thank you Stush...(Polish for Stan,,,isn't it?)
    The bloom on mine i starting to dry up.... is that normal? What is average "life" of the flower? I moved the plant from indirect light to my south facing window in full sun. Mistake???

Original Author
    9 years ago

Paula,
    Can't say. Lucky to have one at all, and got a nice picture of it as well. If disturbed they drop fast. I think they last only a few days. Too bad no flies to pollinate it. Or maybe it did it itself. They will form a long skinny seed pod if fertilized. I have never had one go to seed yet. But now that I own several, I plan to save the pollen and pollinate them myself. Hoping to cross with the larger Hoodia ones.
    My next post will be titled 'Want to see my Huernia?'. Great at parties.

Stush (polish for Stan)

• PaulaZ
    9 years ago

Stush, here is the bloom lying off plant and what appears to be anew one starting. Is the elongated "thing" where old bloom was the seed pod?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks to me so far to be a new branch. Most flower at end of Sept. or early Oct. just before bring them in for the winter. Any buds on them falls off once inside.
    Most of mine are under one year old and I don't expect them to flower for me.
    Stush

Original Author
    9 years ago

The main plant is producing more crest. Counted 3 so far. Also some branches have twin sprouts! Never seen in other huernias. This has proved to be a most interesting plant.
    Stush

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I cleared up my own mystery. On Dave's Garden web, he shows a H. pillansii with several crest and even won 2007 LA's C&S show. Looks similar to mine even with the dark red flowers. Some dispute this claim due to the dark red flowers. They also show H. pillansii flower with it's yellow background and red dots.
    I don't think all pillansii produce crests but mine does and now I see what to expect when it get a few years older.
    I would have copy/paste but it had a trademark.

Original Author
    9 years ago

One of my newest to flower. Very suprised to find this. It's name; Duvalia sulcata ssp. Seminude
    Stush

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Hope I can find one of these at local nurseries one day, so neat!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Miles to Go, only $4. It's just a few months old from purchase.