Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gargaile_gw

Pumice in Bulk?

gargaile
10 years ago

Hello folks! Anyone know a place in LA area to buy pumice in bulk?

I know OSH sells in small packs but like commercially?

Thank you. Gary

Comments (43)

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Here's a couple to start with. There is one more that I'm trying to remember and will post when I think of it.

O.F. Wolfinbarger in Ontario off the 60 freeway.
    Long Beach Shavings And Top Soil.

• growforit
    10 years ago

Not in LA exactly........ but if you're ever near Anaheim stadium, check out Orange County Farm Supply. I think a 50lb bag is still less than $10.00.

Icadena - "Long Beach Shavings And Top Soil" - Is this a pumice source in Long Beach?

• gargaile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both.

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Growforit, I think so. I asked my brother who is a landscape contractor and he thinks it is. Could be wrong, but a phone call ahead of time might be wise.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Are you near the southbay? LA is a big place haha

I go to Lomita Feed which is a Feed store and buy a 40 lb bag for $14-18. Lomita

You could try feed stores in your area

• gargaile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Burbank. I just called Orange County farm supply. 50lb for $8.75 wow!!!

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

wow now that is a good deal!!

• reggie
    10 years ago

That's where I get mine. OC Farm Supply. Seems more like 30 pounds, they bag it themselves. Either way, a good deal. They do run out so be sure to call first before you go.

• rataho
    10 years ago

Agromin, off Hueneme road in Oxnard/Port Hueneme, sells pumice for app. $35 a yard (fills the bed of a pickup). It's less than an hour north of LA. They also do custom soil mixes for far less than garden supply stores if you're willing to buy by the yard. RTH Zone 10a

• gargaile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rataho.. Thank you. This is a better drive for me than OC from Burbank.

-gary

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Gary,

You might also see if you have a Hanson Aggregate in your area - many a bag of pumice was harvested in their San Diego location, but they might be in SouCal, too.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for tips. I bought some bags at the location in OC.

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get Decomposed Granite in bulk or pebbles or pumic in bulk. Like where u can get them to dump a couple truck loads in your yard, not just bags?

I'm going to be doing some big landscaping about 1500 square feet of lawn changed into a succulent garden.

Any other tips helpful

• reggie
    10 years ago

I've use these guys before.

Saddleback Material Company

http://saddlebackmaterialsco.com/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Saddleback Material Company

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Thanks Reggieee I'll check them out. I also got recommended a place called Thompsons Landscaping supplies, but their reviews on yelp aren't the greatest. Anyone have experience with them?

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

To add another place: Whittier Fertilizer, located in Pico Rivera. Got a 1 cubic foot bag for $5.75 just now.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Whittier Fertilizer also sells by the yard and half yard. A yard is about $65.

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    8 years ago

Hi! My names Lexi & my family just recently purchased and renovated the only 2 Pumice mines in California.

I was reading through the comments and saw how difficult you all have been finding it to get your hands on pumice and wanted to let you know that's no longer the case! Since our family is now in charge of the mines, known now as "General Pumice Products", we have mining rights for the next 200 years and can actually ship 15lb. bags of 4 different sizes of pumice straight to your front door! We also sell in bulk and wholesale to nurseries like Altman's, Monrovia, Color Spot, etc.

Go to our website for more information and to order!

Thanks so much.

Call me with any questions 760-403-4718

www.GeneralPumiceProducts.com

• breton2
    8 years ago

Lexi..........can you ship to Canada?

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    8 years ago

Breton2, we can, I'd have to get your full address to give you a shipping estimate. If you're interested email me at Lexi@globalpumice.com

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago

What colors and can you ship in bulk rate from Post Office? It's much cheaper that way)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    8 years ago

Mike, AFAIK, there's only one colour to pumice.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    8 years ago

There is very light variety and a slightly more tan variety.

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mikerno_1micha, here are some photos of our pumice sizes, and color. It is a white/grey, but there are several different varieties & colors of pumice.

Our smallest size: 1/8"

Our next & most popular size 3/16"

Our larger, special order size 3/8". Great for large projects/tree planting.

Our pumice is one of the best amendments you can use because it contains over 70 mineral and trace vitamins, such as Zeolite, Fulvic Acid, Humic Acid, Magnesium, etc. (We can email a full nutrient breakdown upon request). This is extremely beneficial because not only does the pumice aerate your soil, it also feeds the plants vital nutrients and minerals, and filters/detoxifies the water.

A very interesting thing to note is that not all pumice is the same in chemical analysis, dryness, & density. Only 3 mines in the United States have this specific type of pumice that is pH neutral, packed with Zeolite (which is a water purifier & detoxifier for plants and your body actually), that has no boron (which will turn your plants yellow), and is completely dry. And my company, happens to own 2 of those 3 mines.

This is why it is so important to know where you are buying your pumice from, what the pumice nutrient content is, where it coming from (pumice from Oregon is very dense, brown, and very wet due to the rain fall, and does not have the mineral/vitamin content our product does.) This is why I would avoid buying on Amazon unless you know the seller's product quality very well and have all the above information from them.

• cardiovascular
    8 years ago

Umm, I think you guys posted the same photo 3 times.

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    8 years ago

Cardiovascular,

Oops! Technology malfunction! Thank you for pointing that out. Fixed.

• gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

Breton2, did you ever order the pumice?

• breton2
    8 years ago

No, I did not, it would have been over $40 U.S. to ship a 15 lb bag to my location...not worth it to me.

• gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

Thank you. I figured it would not be cheap. Grrr.

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    8 years ago

Breton2 & gdinieontarioz5 we offer free shipping with every U.S. Order, and we're working super hard to find a decent priced shipping company to Canada & international. It's very tough to find since our shipments are so large & heavier than most.

• breton2
    8 years ago

Yes, I would certainly order from them if the shipping wasn't so high.

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    8 years ago

Robinswfl You're the best! Thanks so much for your support and orders & such a kind review. We appreciate you!

• gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

I would also order if the shipping was more acceptable.

• caityross
    7 years ago

An update on General Pumice Products:

I ordered 15 lbs of 3/16 pumice from them and received it yesterday- well within the promised timeframe. It was completely dry, so I sifted some to get a feel for it. There was dust, but less than I expected, and I didn't even bother sifting for fines- there was no need. I elected to rinse some to get a feel for overall weight. A very small fraction floated, which is perfect for my needs. The color is a light grey, a few pieces are a bit brownish- much less jarring than perlite to be sure. The photos from below were taken after I poured the pumice into a orange bucket- the substrate doesn't have the strong reddish tinge outside that influence.

The packaging was a very sturdy plastic bag inside a large flat-rate box. I didn't weigh the package, but it was completely packed and the volume was what I was expecting. It looked as though the post office was less than gentle with the shipping, but there were no holes visible in the plastic bag or dust seepage from the package.

So- I've got some elephant bush cuttings that I'm going to pot in a mix of DE and pumice- I've not used pumice before, so I thought I'd try it out with something I've had a lot of experience with.

Overall- even if pumice is not something I'll use in the future, I'm happy with General Pumice Products.

Plants · More Info

Plants · More Info

• nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Like others who have switched over and those who have used pumice over time I think you'll be happy enough with your results to use it more widely. Good to hear your shopping results where positive.

• caityross
    7 years ago

I'm looking forward to trying it- being on the east coast means that pumice isn't readily available- I thought 15 lbs was a good amount to test it out and see. I do love substrates that last a good amount of time.

(I did a fair amount of googling before I decided where to buy, so I thought I'd update this thread with my experience.)

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    7 years ago

How much was the 15lbs bag with shipping? I would definitely like to try pumice for more of my plants. In fact, I want to try some plants in pure pumice.

• caityross
    7 years ago

$25 total

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    7 years ago

Thanks. I will have to order at least bag to play around with.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

I think if you mention the forums here with Lexi you can get a discount. Also they used to have a discount if you bought a couple bags, not sure if that is still the case.

• robinswfl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

caityross and others: I remain a user of General Pumice Products and I like their pumice. I had much the same experience as you with size and lack of fines. Rinsing it without sifting works for me. It's impossible to get pumice otherwise where I live, and even though it's not real inexpensive from GPP -- I SO MUCH prefer this product to perlite. I mix it with C/S soil for some plants. I have a couple of "pink blush" aloes and two haws in pure pumice and they are doing fine (although I have to water them more frequently), and I also mix it "at will" with Turface and poultry grit in various combinations. Yes, it costs me more than perlite -- but the results are so worth it (to me anyway).

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

I'm on my 4th order from them and still love it and prefer it over everything else. I mix it with chicken grit and sometimes add some dry stall. Now I mainly use perlite only to fill the bottom of pots that are too deep to save weight. :)

• HU-158455555
    2 years ago

Lexi mentioned that her company owns 2 of the 3 pumice mines that are of the appropriate quality for use in plant-growing. Does anyone know what company owns the 3rd pumice mine and/or which product(s) sell pumice from the 3rd mine? I am looking to purchase around 6 cubic feet of pumice (3/8" - 1/4"), and I would like to compare prices between the different suppliers. Thank you in advance!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert