Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Encouraging a second bloom from Aloes?

Central_Cali369
10 years ago

Hello,

I have been growing several different aloes for about 5 years now. I've had the pleasure of growing many beautiful plants from small seedlings and seeing them mature and bloom. However, I think I am at a disadvantage in terms of my location with Aloe Ferox and Aloe Hercules. My A. ferox has produced a bloom spike for three consecutive years now, but it always puts it out around December, which is when we typically have temperatures cold enough to kill the flower spike while it's still developing. This year, I noticed my Aloe "Hercules", which is over 9 feet tall, put out it's first flower spike around the same time. This last arctic blast we had in North America brought our overnight low temperatures to 22 degrees F for several nights kiling both flower spikes. Interestingly enough, Aloe arborescens and Aloe rooikappie continue to bloom without a hint of damage.

Is there a way to encourage a second bloom from these two aloes? If they only set flower spikes a month later there wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (6)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

The only thing I can think of is to fertilize. If your Aloes are already blooming for you, they probably don't need more sun - the cure for an Aloe that doesn't bloom at all. You could give them something a little heavier on the P & K, like a 2-10-10. Phosphorous encourages blooms while Potassium helps a plant to function properly - like taking vitamins.

To put it VERY simply:
    Nitrogen = power
    Phosphorous = fertility & root development
    Potassium = health

These ingredients act in concert for a healthy plant, like eating a balanced meal for us. However, like us, plants don't only require 3 elements to survive. I like to add micronutrients to my fert because there are other things (like carbon, sulfur, magnesium, copper, cobalt, sodium, boron, molybdenum, and zinc) that are also important. I also add vinegar to my fert mix - about 1 teaspoon/gallon - which raises the PH and helps immensely in the absorption of nutrients. Careful though, too much vinegar will create bloated plants.

All of that being said, many plants are on a very strict blooming schedule out of necessity. If plants in nature have any hope of reproducing, they'd better do it at the same time! Many mesembs bloom on the exact same day/days all over the world, without a second chance. So, you either feed you plants right and cross your fingers - or - if they don't bloom together next time, you save some of the pollen from one plant in a glass jar in the freezer. I assume we're talking about cross-pollination.

That's all I got. You may already know this stuff.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

my input would be you dont' seem to be living in a true zone 9b or you would not be getting cold blasts that kill your flowers every year. 9a more like it.

I don't know of any way to force an aloe to flower other than to treat it as nicely as possible- for Aloe ferox, that might be to have it growing against a thick wall facing the sun all day and protected from the wind.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

central_cali, if the only damage is to the flower spike, have you tried insulating the spike during the cold weather? I don't know how strong the spike would be at that stage; you might need to put up a pole -- or maybe two -- to support whatever you would use to insulate it. And you might need space to place a ladder in that area so you could place the insulation over the spike.

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hanzrobo, the information you shared is amazing! I will print this out and bring it with me to look for something at the local garden center that would fit the bill.

lzrddr, I've thought about relocating it. It is currently growing in a wind tunnel between homes where we get wind moving through on a regular basis. I am somewhat scared of losing it if I move it at this size. It's nearing 5 feet, and the sucker is heavy! I've had to stake it to keep it from leaning from the wind and it's one heavy monster. Maybe that would be my best shot.

Missingtheobvious, I double checked today and saw only the tips of the flower spike are damaged! The ferox spike seems to be actively growing, so I'll protect that one. Right now the aloe's own leaves help to prop up the burlap, but I'll look into protecting it once it rises above the leaves.

Thank you all for your replies.

Josh

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I would update you all on the two aloes in question above. The larger A. hercules took a lot more damage from the freezing temperatures but is growing out of it and should be back to normal as soon as the weather warms a bit more. It did get some damaged tissue along the trunk that I am keeping an eye on to make sure it does not travel and infect the rest of the plant. For now, it looks to be ok.

The Aloe ferox is actually continuing to bloom! I did not think the flower spike would make it, seeing as to how it got down to 19 degrees F for several hours and low 20s several nights in a row. Here is a photo of it today:

• nil13
    10 years ago

Throw a sheet over it at night. Make sure it bunches up on the ground all around the plant. You don't want any of that heat falling away.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012