Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Yucky Freeze dammage

But it could be worse. My whole family was down with influenza when the cold front hit . I had a fever of 103.6. I manage to get some things in but there were many that were forgotten OR that I thought they were fine because they had made it through many cold fronts before. Unfortunately, this time was a triumverant of many factors that made this one a dozer. They said that it would get to 30 and then they revised it downwards as the day came and it ended up at 20. Soil was wet from a wet november and rain and ice just prior to the plunge. It was 80 degrees 30 hours before it was 20 degrees, so it hit like a tone of bricks and plants had no time to harden off. Maybe it is a sign that I have too many plants and I need to get them in the ground.

My dearest damage was my large old friend Asrtrophytum ornatum. I was very dizzy out their moving in the cold wet and wind. I am very aware NOW that my system is dependent on a healthy me and I cannot act as if that is a given.

My Agave Montanas should have been able to withstand this but both varieties have severe edema like damage but the cores are all right. So do my A. Shreveii var magna and others. Even my A. Parryii's of various sorts. The potted agaves are much worse off than the ones in the ground. All of these have been through worse cold front.

Anyway I was too embarrassed to show these but I will in the interest of full disclosure and cautionary tale. LOL. It has taken awhile , because I am doing my annual chainsaw the 1.7 acre piece of under brush on my land. It is a yearly commitment that I bring in the holidays with. Need any juniper garlands? . I have 20 16' trailer loads probably, And I am still cutting. I have one more warm day before the next rain and cold front hits.
Hear are some (only some) of the wounded soldiers.

These had less damage and they were in a raised bed of very frailly soil.

Any suggestions of treatment to minimize or spread of the damage. I am going to move them under cover so they do not get rained on tomorrow before the next freeze (29f or so they say)

This post was edited by wantonamara on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 14:01

Comments (18)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Awwwwwww, man! I'm sorry to see that, Mara. It hurts to look at them. (shakes fist at sky)

I see you were able to post pics from Flickr. I, suddenly cannot, no matter how much I try.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to go to their help line and complain. I had been shunted over to the BETA experience and it sucks. They had a window hidden behind the photo and I could not get to the Html and BBC codes. I complained and they got on there and fixed it and I figured out how to post. but it was till in the Beta. I told them I could no longer switch back and I wanted to be back in the old way. I woke up and Lo and behold, today, I am back in the old flicker. I wish you luck. Flicker is getting it from every one. I am almost tempted to go to Flickriver or Smugmug (god awful name but my husband said it looked good). Flicker has pissed me off with all these changes and symbols that are not descriptive at all ( for HTMP and BBC) . What a guessing game.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Well, thanks for the info. I knew people were upset with Flickr but I hadn't had any problems until now.

• chadec
    10 years ago

Ewwwwwww, Mara those are in terrible shape. Hope they survive the edema, dry out fast and live on.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

I had some damage done this week due to condensation drip from a roof/tree. I didn't notice it until last night. The only thing in danger is a big Euphorbia Spiralis that I uprooted and wrapped in rags to help it dry and stay warm. Some dark freeze spots but I think it will recover. Also have my share of damaged aloes. I'm surprised your agave suffered so much damage! Down here they don't hardly respond to our winter. Probably best thing to do for those is cut off the rotted leaves and make sure they stay dry for the rest of the winter.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am surprised by the damage too. Most of these are very cold tolerant agaves and they have been through worse freezes. the parryi went through the 12F. I think some of the montannas are old enough that they went through that freeze but I probably had them pulled to the house and wrapped because they were so young.. As I said it was a bunch of factors all rolled into one happening.

I have been chainsawing outside all day and then a massage therapist came by and I am officially a wet noodle but I just drug my @ss out there and moved the agaves under roof. I have many. There are 9 agave Montanans damaged , 3 A schidigera(SP?), 12 small agave parries . and many more. I only showed a few. This was a bad one for me. Rain tonight and tomorrow. So far the cores are clean. Do you think I should take them out of their pots and check on the roots or should I wait till spring. I have had agaves die after a freeze from rot that started in the roots.

The best were the Agave potrerana, lophantha, Sharksin, striata, bracytosa, a. gentry and Salmiana -ferox. Excuse my spelling , I am too relaxed to check my spelling.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 19:33

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They did resolve it. It took a couple of days. I think they had to fix something on but specific page. I got a follow up from them. It didn't come in as Fliker but google group or whatever it is part of. I am so oblivious to details.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Ouch!! That really sucks. Sincerest condolences.

How did the little salmiana I sent you fare?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GSCentral Texas is a crap shoot. We can be like Arizona and we can be like Memphis or OKC. I am slowly returning to the Texas Natives.

10 years ago

Well, glad to hear that at least. There really isn't anything you can do other than haul tender potted plants inside, something I do. A few plants in front go in the garage, and we have a heated storage area in back. I keep my garden cart in the garage all winter ready to spring into action -- the plants in front are heavy. I'll load it up and roll it in and out of the garage until the threat passes.

We had a deal kinda like yours come through three winters ago, a borderline hard freeze immediately following a stretch of 75-80 highs. It was a bloodbath. I only lost a few plants, but some local nurseries both here and Tucson got absolutely killed. A worse cold snap hit a month later, but everything was hardened off by then, and it did far less damage.

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    10 years ago

Hi Mara
    Glad your feeling better, just remember the plants can be .replaced you cant.
    please next time put a warning label as graphic for the more sensitive type. [me lol ]

Richard

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea, but Agave montanas are not supposed to be tender, so I didn't move them. Live and learn again and again. Next time they get drug down to the stone patio close to the house.

My question is, Should I let them keep these awful leaves until they totally dry up and are pull off-able . Or should I cut them off as soon as it gets warm so the plant can direct growth to new leaves.. What should I do now? I have many damaged plants. Should I give them a dose of fungicide after they have dried out? Should I keep tugging on them to see if they are going to loose their roots due to rot and then un pot them . Un pot them to check on their roots in a couple of weeks? I am concerned about rot under the ground, in the pot because I last a sizable sharkskin after the 12 F freeze and the leaves were fine but the roots died.. I am willing to live with these plants till they grow out of this .

What are peoples thoughts on the triage and care of these calico heart throbs.

Praises for the A. ovatifolia and proto-americana. They are bulletproof.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have them under roof on an upstairs porch, I think I am going to move them down stairs to under roof on a stone south facing patio before the freeze tomorrow night.

The agave celcii multicolor is history and so is my Agave decipiens. Oh well. I took the decpiens in trade , for plants I was not really needing a plant for, and I knew they were marginal and I had not much hope for them but I took them to be polite.

GS, You also sent me a Agave macrocantha. I sent that on to Southern California, so it is alive in succulent heaven because I knew it was dependent on me protecting it. Hansrobo is very appreciative and will be a better parent than me. The opuntia is soft , but the base is still hard, so it will bounce back. Opuntias are weird. They lie down and then stand back up months later. I will cut off the truly soft and leave the rest.

10 years ago

A. celsii 'Multicolor' has been damaged here, and A. decipiens is borderline too tender for my location, let alone yours. Did I send you a Tephrocactus cutting? Rabbits eat new shoots, the ones they miss fall off, what a ridiculous plant. They are hardy here, and they grow really fast, so look forward to a quick recovery. A. macroacantha is absolutely invasive here, I pulled up and tossed about 20 pups a few days ago.

• reggie
    10 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your lovelies. :-(

Even here in succulent heaven, SoCal, we are having weird cold freezing weather. I too had damage but nowhere to the extent that you show.

Dang! Hope the best for them.

Keep us updated.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The second cold front hit. I threw out my back when I moved all my plants in and was chainsawing in my back gorge. I spent a week out of commission and am only due to the amazing hands of a massage therapist getting back to it.. I finally managed just a few days ago to get plants out to the sun again. It has been a tough winter on my old bones. I feel freeze damaged! I am now starting the throwing out process.

The Agave montanas are hanging in in their mottled state. I am trying to look at them as a new variety of variegated agave. I have only lost one so far. BUT I have lost many others. My brand new A. xylonancatha "frostbite" got frostbit . I wonder if any will pup from the roots?

IT makes me realize , that I have too much in pots and I need to get things in their raised mound. Many of the same plants suffered in the pots and they were even moved in before the big freeze and the same plant (i.e. aloe striata) survived fine under a frost cloth, but the plant in the pot under cold rain and light frost got significant leaf edema. It is said to be hardy to 19F. I had moved it in for the two big fronts but it had already gotten damaged in the cold/wet conditions of November. My aloe greatheadii is doing really well under the cloth. Even its blossom did not freeze. Interesting. I think they call this pushing the envelope. Guarenteed to bite me in the butt latter.

• sanfrancisucculent
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry about your plants! But many will pull through and will be all the tougher for the experience. Maybe you'll even have a new bond with them because you survived "that" winter together.

Plus the really bad weather teaches us what our plants can handle and what they can't, so in the long term we'll be even better gardeners...