Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yucca endlichiana question

Posted by tom_termine z5b MA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 12:44

Hi-

This is my second winter with this plant. This winter, I have been keeping it in a south facing window, watering approximately once every 1-2 weeks. It is typically pretty dry when I water it...maybe too dry, I am starting to wonder.

About 6 or eight older leaves have shriveled up which, to some degree I expect to be normal. I am starting to wonder now if the leaf loss is a bit excessive. It did not do it as much last winter when I kept it in my sunroom under lights (I may move it back there...) where it also experienced much cooler night temps.

Here is a pic of the overall plant:

and a close up of another leaf tip starting to go:

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you!

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yucca endlichiana question

As you said, that is an older leaf, and it goes to prove that if you give the Agave Family plants room and conditions to grow, grow they will. I'd say it's just shedding, but maybe someone else who's growing it can chime in. My two Yuccas are getting snowed on now. That's a very likeable plant.

o

Thanks, Jeff. That is what I am hoping, and I would like it to stop shedding NOW! ;-).

Getting snowed on? What kinds do you have out there? We still have been relatively warm here...30s at night, 40s by day...maybe 50s tomorrow. No measurable snowfall yet.

My Yucca filamentosa are spending their second winter in the ground...but my rostrata (potted) is in the garage.

T

o

Wish I could help...as I've been growing this species in-ground for years. But, mine went through an excessive amount of lower leaf die-off last summer as well. The remaining leaves look quite healthy, but it sure doesn't look right.
If you figure out what gives, I'd love to know!

o

Min -

Do you find this to be a thirstier Yucca than most? I would expect it to do pretty well where you are growing it...where is yours sited?

Thanks!

Tom

o

Hi Tom,
Hard to say...I've had mine for about 3 years, and it has grown little in that time, so since I find Yuccas grow faster when watered more, maybe I'm just not watering it enough and it does indeed want more water than I'm giving it?
I know they do well in the valley elsewhere - the DBG has a whole bed of them growing.
Mine is just in the ground in my garden - it gets 2-3 hrs of direct sunlight, but filtered sun after that.

Cheers,
Tristan
Yucca endlichiana (2012-Dec10)

This post was edited by minime8484 on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 14:55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here