Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Christmas Cactus Question

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 12:59

I was given a section of Christmas Cactus, can I divide it or should I leave it as one section till it grows out? I have a 6 inch pot, and have filled it with moist orchid bark/soil.

Stevi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Christmas Cactus Question

Hi Stephanie,

You can plant it either way but likely a 6" pot will rot the plant ASAP. These need small, plastic pots. For one cutting (or even if you cut that into 3, which would be fine) all it wants is a 3" pot, pls. believe me.

Also, don't water it in once potted up pls.; wait several days at least.

o

Hi Pirate,
I wet the bark and just laid the cutting on top and pushed the end downward a little. It is about 90 percent bark and the rest is a bark mixture for orchids. But you still think it should go smaller even in bark? Stevi

o

Yes, smaller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here