Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reggie

Field Trip to the Sherman Gardens

reggie
10 years ago

For those of you that like to look at mature succulents PIGed (planted in the ground) here is a feast for your eyes. I would encourage any of you in the Southern CA area to stop by and enjoy the Sherman Gardens and Library in person (located in Corona Del Mar). Matt Maggio is the designer and maintainer of this small section of the garden.

Here is a link to an article by the Pacific Horticulture Society about the garden. http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/a-succulent-oasis-at-sherman-library-gardens/

The set on flickr included pictures from two separate visits. The ones at the end of the set are the most recent, a few weeks ago.

Here are a few shots to get you drooling. :-)

Many mesembs

Many bowls

Euphorbias

Fountain. Roro, this one's for you....

Agave lovers, I've got you covered too.

Aloes? Yes, haworthia truncata, gasterias, ect...

Here is a link that might be useful: Set of all of the photos

Comments (34)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Since I'm not from the area, thanks for sharing.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

purpleinopp, you might be interested: on the second page of Reggieee's album, 2nd row, 3rd and 4th photos, there are plants which look like hairy Tradescantias.

Lovely photos, Reggieee. Thanks for posting them!

• seedmoney
    10 years ago

A beautiful garden superbly captured by a photographer with an eye for beauty and light. TFS, and may I selfishly suggest more field trips ;-)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Lovely place! You have it all at your fingertips down there. TFS

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I have a special treat for those that happen across this thread again. Here's me and Reggie at Tim Jackson's greenhouse for the 2013 Annual Mesemb Day! Fun was had.
    BOOM!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Okay, now that you've seen our mugs, here's the real treat.
    Crazy party, right?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

OooEee, THANKS for this Superb Eye Candy, Regina!! And Ryan, I have that pic, but figured I'd get in trouble if I posted it...so I'm glad YOU did! Happy you two met in person. Bummed I didn't attend that event!

Regina, FABULOUS pix of Matt's creations & an EXTRA special thanks for the fountain for me!! Now, THAT is what I call cram-packed!! Woohoo! Great!

(I've been trying to stay off here since I am WAY behind on all holiday prep. This morning, I got messages that the site was resetting while it tried to load-both from my laptop & my cell phone, so no clue what was up -it just didn't want to let me SEE! LOL)

I will have to make some notes of plants Matt used together for my front yard project. One thing I know...I think I need MORE rocks! He has used a lot of cool ones!

Thanks so much for the virtual tour, Regina! I'll be back often to view! One day, I will make the trek to see all for myself!!

PIG, coming SOON to my front yard...as soon as I figure where I'm getting fill dirt. :) Maybe Santa will do it for me?!?

• gargaile
    10 years ago

Do you folks know how Matt keep this garden mealy bugs free?....totally amaze me.

Gary

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I would love to see a garden like this some day! TY so much for sharing these extremely unusual sights (for those in wetter climates.) In your album, I was most impressed by the planting "in" the flight of steps. Brilliant! The smiling faces pic is awesome too, it made me smile right back. Love the barnacles and shells too. Kind of a visual pun.

TY, Missing. I've become predictably addicted here, huh? I think you mean this pic? I don't think they're Trads but I'm also curious. I love trailing plants, don't think I've seen that before. I'd love to know what the almost-black plant to its' left is also.

I MUST know what this flowering plant is!!! And the beauty with the pink-edged sword shaped leaves behind it. Please.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

In the background: Phormium 'Pink Stripe' perhaps -- or one of the other pink cultivars. (Phormium is aka NZ flax.)
    http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=1261

purple, I'm curious about the hairy little guy also! And I don't recognize the spiky flowers either.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 10:48

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms in that last pic. Perhaps I can ask Matt & see if he knows/remembers. I will be back if/when he replies.

The black plant is Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigriscens' (Black Mondo Grass). The fuzzy trailer is Cyanotis somaliensis.

Still drooling here, Regina!!! :P

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the show! That is one crazy elaborate garden!

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Here are a few more shots from my visit last month

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

nice monstrose agave

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

furcraea

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

under each step are planted 'wall to wall' Crassulaceae species

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

shot from last year's visit

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

another scene from last year

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

they don't just have succulents there... lots of nice cycads, palms, ferns and all sorts of great tropicals... in a perfect microclimate right next to the beach... probably one of the few real zone 10bs in southern California

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Great additional pix, Geoff!! Thanks!!=)

I heard back from Matt. He says he's only in charge of the succulent sections. But he guessed that the bloomer is a type of Digitalis. So, having a clue to chase, Tiffany, I tracked down what I think it is...Digitalis 'Illumination Pink' (was a Plant of the Year 2012). Link didn't work-you can Google it if you like.

This post was edited by rosemariero on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 12:59

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Gary, I asked Matt your question regarding keeping these plants mealy free (as well as telling him of our compliments) & he replied:

Thank you for the compliments. I use a commercial chemical called Safari, sometimes Orthene, rubbing alcohol and a lot of vigilance to control the mealies. But above all, I try to start with clean plants.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

Its nice to see a botanical garden that embraces plants that look good. Not just straight species,but the colorful hybrids also.

Of the two trunking cycads...is the one to the left C.rumphii and the other C.circinalis? The one on the left is more likely to be something else...

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

I followed this post to find out what the amazing pink flowering plant was! lol I knew it looked like an isoplexis since I grow Isoplexis canariensis and after reading about it, found out it is a cross between the isoplexis and a common foxglove. Who would've known!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

How interesting, Josh! Good to know! I certainly didn't know. I knew it wasn't your run-of-the-mill Foxglove. Had a Gladiola look to it too. SO happy to find out the beauty's name. =)

I was thinking it looked somewhat like Rehmannia elata (I used to have), but knew that wasn't it!

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Cycad on left is Lepidozamia peroffskiana. One on right is Cycas 'circinalis' (or what is being called circinalis in cultivation... more likely a form of rumphiana).

10 years ago

Thanks Dr. Lizrd. I know I've seen that Cycad (now that you named it) at UC Berkeley. Just not with that kind of huge trunk.
    I have C.circinalis..they all get that indian headdress look (in California) while the bigger rumphii seems to be more palm like.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

So much beauty pictured here. Thank you for sharing!!

10 years ago

One more ID..the big blue Agave?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Stan, if you mean the one in the 1st pic lzrddr posted, near the Golden Barrel cactus, I believe that is Agave ovatifolia.

• reggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@bikerdoc5968 So glad that you enjoyed the virtual field trip. Even few people that live around here have visited this little hidden jewel.

@seedmoney Thanks for the photography compliments. I wish I had one of those fancy cameras but my iPhone does the heavy lifting. I have other field trips waiting to be posted. Hold tight!

@rosemariero Glad you liked the shots!! Thought of you and that cool fountain that you are putting together. This one is on steroids.

• gargaile
    10 years ago

@rosemariero. Thank you for the follow up. :)

-gary

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, man! Very nice! Thanks!

10 years ago

Oh,thanks Rosemarie. That's one to look for. Could almost pass for a Alcanteria brom.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

YES, Regina...a fountain on steroids!! :D

Sure thing, Gary & Stan. Glad to help! It could almost be that brom, Stan! :P

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County