Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did you support your top-heavy aloe?

Posted by central_cali369 USDA z9b/ Sunset z9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 11 at 13:51

My two largest aloes, an A. Ferox and an A. Marlothii, are getting really top heavy. I've helped keep them steady with a couple of rocks, but I'm wondering what will happen when they become massive and the winter rains loosed then soil. Has any one of you dealt with this successfully? Do you have any long term solutions?

This is the Marlothii, with it's roots becoming exposed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did you support your top-heavy aloe?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 6, 11 at 14:49

How much are you watering?

o

I water very little only between the months of June and October. I have a basin located off to the left of the photo to water the queen palm. I'm not sure that the aloe's roots can reach the basin since it's about 5 feet away. It's really plump from the last couple of rains

o

If its planted deep enough and the roots are well developed it should not be an issue, its a 'single stem or sometimes called tree aloe".

o

It shouldn't be top-heavy, unless the roots haven't developed commensurate with the growth of the plant. At any rate....

Stake it - three of them with some firm-but-not-tight staying ropes/wire (wrapped by old garden hose, naturally) - will do the trick.

o

Thanks for the tips guys/gals! These aloes are getting to be a nice size, I'd hate to have one topple over.

o

Aloe marlothiis are well known for falling over here in Southern California, but usually it's due to poor roots (over watering) or high winds. Recent wind storm in Pasadena knocked over a LOT of tree aloes at the Huntington Gardens, including half of a 30' tall Aloe barberae. Garden is partially closed for a long time now to clean up all the fallen trees.

The good thing about fallen Aloe marlothiis is they seem to take rerooting well.

o

Mine was in a pot. The head of mine was too big for the stem to support so it bent over. Roots had already formed above the break in the stem so I cut below the roots and repotted. The sides of the new pot support the head while the roots get going. I think I posted the whole sad story with pix here a few months back.
It looks unfazed by the experience.
Geez, it's always something!

o

Had the same thing happen to my ferox, I was told to quit cleaning off the dead leaves as that is what helps stabilize the plant as it grows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here