Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my moon cactus is dying!

Posted by nixobear 11222 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 2, 06 at 13:58

help! it is in moderate temperatures and in indirect light and not over-watered and yet is still starting to rot!!! why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my moon cactus is dying!

Bear, when plants show signs of rotting, immediately one thinks of "overwtering". Cactus -- I think pretty well all--are succulents and therefore, they don't need as much watering as other plants; the leaves store moisture longer.

OK...aside from that, you say you don't think you have given it too much. In winter of course, the plant, not growing, needs that much less watering. There is less sunlight to cause it to grow and use the water.

How does your pot drain? Cactus are usually planted in soil that drains very well. It's mix can contain material that lends itself to draining well.....peat moss, soiless mix, vermiculite...

If it is not too much a bother, why not unpot your plant; take a look at the roots, see if any smell comes from them or any sign of rotting.
If so, cut that away....tear your roots free of any compacted soil and maybe --as a last resort though, give it fresh potting soil. Usually giving a plant fresh soil can bring about fresh growth...that you don't want..not right now. Do that round about mid February.
If rotting is suspected, you might at the plant's next watering, give it a few drops of "Damp Off"...a fungicide which will kill any bacteria that maybe is in the present soil and that which might be clinging to the roots.

See that the plant does drain well and let it dry some between waterings. Remember though, it is a succulent and can go dry a bit more.

The winter solstace is approaching...December 21..the shortest day of the year so don't be afraid to give your cactus some better sun. (south, west or in a pinch an east exposure)

Don't feed it. Feeding only prompts the plant to grow...and at this time of season, it wont do that.
The food would be wasted and dangerous salt build-up could result.

I suggest for water, leave it out overnight to gain room temperature---don't give it cold water.
If you like, put the water on top of the refrigerator and let it gain a little warmth from that position.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here