Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Jatropha podagrica

A member of the Euphorbiaceae or spurge family, it is known commonly as Buddha belly plant, bottle plant shrub or gout plant. Somewhat surprised that it is flowering now! Does anyone know if it is self-pollinating?

Comments (58)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an updated picture showing both the male (right) and two female cyathia. This is very interesting for me because usually if a flower is monecious both male and female parts are on the same inflorescence or if dioecious then separate plants. Anyway, time to pollinate

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 14:56

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Cool!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update to this post. Not sure why these haven't popped, but we should have some seed and we are going to get a second chance!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another installment... the pods didn't explode open as I had expected, typical of Euphorbiaceae. I decided I would intervene and help them along. The seeds are huge! Because it's been so long in their pod, they may no longer be viable... time will tell, maybe!!!???

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the seedlings just waking up today. Excited to see how they develop. Unfortunately, I lost a couple to dampening off. I currently have three pods developing so that would be nine more seeds!

Howard

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Howard, cool!

Are they seeds from the first flowers you thought may not be viable?
    How long did they take to germinate?
    Good looking seedlings.

Rina

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Rina. These are from the first flower. It took about 10 days to two weeks for them to germinate. I had six seed. Tow out of three in one pot and similar in another pot but lost one to rot. I should have nine more seeds in several weeks, especially if the weather warms ups.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Howard

They are actually cute...like watermelons on top of the tree.

You have lots of cool plants! Always looking forward to your great photos.

Rina

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Howard, these are easy to germinate. I had some about 6 inches tall, and they survived the winter, they were out in the patio.

Marie

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Didn't mean to intimate they are difficult to germinate. In fact, like most of the Euphorbiaceae, it takes about 10 days for me in the winter. I usually get about 85% which is acceptable for me. Some, like E. leuconeura, germinate almost 100%; I find them everywhere in my greenhouse by the dozens!

• drich30099
    9 years ago

If this thread is still active, zone 5 MI here, do you mean you actually leave them outside in the winter? I just acquired my first one!

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The lowest temps I would even dare would be lower sides of forties and only for a very short time. I've had mine at 56 F. lowest avg at times inside through out the winter.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As Nomen stated, these are frost sensitive. Not sure where you picked up that these were outside in Michigan?????

• Susan Schenk
    8 years ago

bikerdoc, I grow these outside in the ground and over the years I have lost only one (origin) plant grown from seed. It died even though I tried to protect it from the cold. Florida had an unseasonably cold conditions that winter, don't laugh (13 nights below 32 for at least a few hours per night). The adult plant now thriving is an offspring of that 7 year old origin plant. Unlike its predecessor who occasionally seeded on one stalk this plant puts out 13 seeds per stalk, on (3) stalks over and over again generally through till late winter. I have stopped collecting the seeds since I can plant that many. At count today I have 20 potted plants (3-9") and 15 plants in the ground from 3" -30 inches high. Wish you were close by maybe I could unload a few on you.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Susan but I have a stock plant and a few seedling myself. You might want to start a thread and offer them to others for postage and a small handling fee. Some pictures certainly wouldn't hurt.

• coldeuphorb
    8 years ago

These are amazing photos. I just got 4 seeds of this a few months ago and 2 germinated and are surviving. Hoping they do well!

• Susan Schenk
    8 years ago

That's what I have been thinking. Perhaps I will host a swap here in Central Florida and find some interesting trades from other gardeners.. We used to have them all the time - now not so much.

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago

Biker: Do you loose all your foliage during the dormant winter ? I ask because some of mine from season to season does stay on and becomes slightly bigger the next season yet this winter all of it fell off.

• Marie Tran
    8 years ago

This is my plant.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nomen, mine looks nothing like yours, which by the way, is wonderful! No, mine has never lost leaves in winter, but mine is getting etiolated and I'm a bit upset. Not sure if it's needs repotting into a larger pot or more sunlight...

• jimcroce21
    8 years ago

I germinated three seeds in winter/spring 2012. I lost one the following winter, but the other two are still around. Both are flowering for the first time this year. Beautiful little flowers.

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks Biker what I'm aiming for is it's popular bigger leaves, a few photos of mine ( and it's little problems )

the base

top of base and some branches

top canopy view

Now that I see yours ( biker) not as worried about the foliage that was three times the size this time last year. Was curious that it may need more brightness or more watering

Over winter it seems every time I walked around with the mister ( for the orchids) another leaf would turn yellow then fall.

some hard cuts from five years ago and shows the stubborn to break smaller branches

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wonder what might happen if I cut the top off. Might it branch out???? Since I'm not terribly fond of how it is looking, what have I to lose??!!

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago

Wish it where as easy as bury it deeper for fatter but it's not that kind of plant, let it continue as is for now. If your willing to loose it hack it after re potting into something bigger , more suited for five years or more before having to re-pot again

Some close up's of past hard cuts and some results :

My bad on lighting An entire branch sawed off six years ago.

The other side of the branch cut Not to be rude but welcome to the lighting problem party

Just when you thought etiolated went away

they can takes years to heal over this one is higher up then the prior, the slight swelling increase at lower area was a little thicker then yours at the thickest point when I cut it Each of the narrow nubs ( green )had big enough bold leaves last two years but not this year.

I've an orthidox idea if you want but wont be replacing yours

• Susan Schenk
    8 years ago

Would love to share pictures -here is my current adult plant about 36" + high.

And here is my current line up of potted babies-not to count the 15 or so plant-lets in the soil around parent plant.

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago

Nice pot size (for reference) Jealously speaking Lucky you gets to keep them in the ground.

• Susan Schenk
    8 years ago

Thanks but sadly I have too many and too many seeds. If we do have a harsh winter I will probably loose some or all of the young ones in the ground. Pots I can at least move around. But I have repotted some of them three or more times already.

• Erik Fallat
    7 years ago

Please can someone help me? I have been looking for the Jatropha Podagrica sp. Tanzania or it might go by Jatropha Podagrica cv. Yellow Flowers. If anyone knows where I can find seeds or a plant to buy I would appreciate very much! I've been looking for this specific plant for over 5 years now since I got my first Jatropha with the red flowers.

• Ben
    6 years ago

I'll see if I can get some seeds from my Jatropha with yellow flowers, and then I'll let you know.

• selinastreet9
    6 years ago

Hi! I am also looking to procure around 5-10 seeds. I already have the red Jatropha and would like to add yellow to my garden. Paypal is fine. Kindly respond.

• selinastreet9
    6 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/b-pedersen95. Kindly contact me. I would like to have seeds of your yellow Jatropha. Thanks.

• Ben
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Just got 2 more Jatropha Podagrica sp. Tanzania today from the botanical garden of Copenhagen. Planning to make seeds next spring/summer, so let me know if any of you want 'yellow' seeds, and I'll do my best to help.

Greetings from Denmark.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is so kind of you. Thx. I have the more common red and would also share seed. Would love a yellow, please.

• ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b)
    6 years ago

Same here, have the common red, would love to add a yellow!

• selinastreet9
    6 years ago

Thank you for responding! Do inform me if you have the yellow seeds next year.

• hablu
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Howard, just sowed them some three weeks ago. What will follow after this stage?

This was after a week (or so)

Two weeks and now they are all three a bit grown. What to do next??

btw. I gave them a bigger pot yesterday.

Harry

ps. picture of this morning

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Harry, I have four red ones from my seed that are a bit larger than yours. Plan on selling them this winter at a show.

• Ben
    5 years ago
    That's a big leaf!

Hand pollinated my ssp tanzania a few months ago, and here's the result; 9 seedpods, waiting for a new home :)
  • Erik Fallat
    5 years ago

Ben please e-mail me if you are able to send seeds. I’ve been searching so long and would love to get as many as you’re willing to give! My email is fivluih@hotmail.com please contact me there.

• Kev SD-CA-10a
    5 years ago

Hay Ben if I can have some seeds to that be great thank my email is kevt760@gmail.com thanks.

• John Cawthron
    5 years ago

Susan Schenk, Where in central FL are you? I am in Winter Haven and have quite a few different plants. I have quite a few jatropha podagricas as well as other varieties of plants.

• Christopher Hall
    3 years ago

I bought 12 of the yellow after having grown the red for the past 30 years here in Fort Lauderdale. They are magnificent and the butterflies LOVE the nectar!

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI thanked Christopher Hall
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nice yellow. How we forget some of our old postings. Sadly, the plant I presented 7 years ago died. If anyone has or will have seed, I’d love to grow this plant again. Thanks.

• Christopher Hall
    3 years ago

Post your city and maybe someone near you will give you one. In Fort Lauderdale FL i give them away all year.

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI thanked Christopher Hall
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Christopher, I wish your thought could be true. Living in SE Michigan, no one has a clue what this is much less grow it... and that includes many in our local C&S club. Once it warms a bit more, I’d pay for plants

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

Howard, I have a yellow one that set seed last year. If I get any seed from it this year, I'll send you some.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Wendy.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    3 years ago

I have the red one and off an on I get seeds out of it. When the pods are mature enough they eject there seeds with a considerable force. I have found seeds 5-6 feet away from the one plant I have. So if I remember and when they are close to maturing I tie a little baggie made out of my wife's discarded leggings/hose whatever it is called - the one that has fine mesh like material. In fact I found many uses of that.

I would love to have a couple of the yellow ones. I think I some of the reds saved from last year if anyone wants.

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    3 years ago

OK. Good to know for future.

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH