Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzitmoidonc

Aloe ID?

Dzitmoidonc
10 years ago

All I know about this one is that I grew it from seed from Mesa about 4 years ago. This is the second year for bloom. Picture taken today. The blooms are quite distinctive, the plant is in an 8 in / 20cm pot. A nice small Aloe.
The whole plant:

A close up of the plant:

{{gwi:737058}}

A close up of the bloom:

Random pic. This is R. lindbergiana. A green fruit in the center, a berry (out of focus) on the right and some open flowers. Even this ratty, the plant blooms 4 times/year. A well cared for plant must be even better. Best bloom for me is the one in April. It blooms again in June, Sept and Dec. Birds eat the fruit in the summer.

Comments (11)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Aloe capitata, I am unsure which variety, but the blossom is very distinctive.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Here is one variety

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe capitata var gneisssicola (sp?)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Here is one variety

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe capitata var gneisssicola (sp?)

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Looks like a regular Aloe capitata... gneissicola usually have longer leaves and are often pretty large plants. Flower's the same, though

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I must say, those pic's are very crisp!
    Thanks,

Josh

• rumbum
    10 years ago

I love love love the plant in the last photo! I am certainly not even a little bit of an expert but I googled it and the pics online don't look the same for rhipsalis lindbergiana? http://www.rhipsalis.com/species/lindberg.htm

• rumbum
    10 years ago

Also would you be interested in a trade of cuttings for that rhipsalis? I have ric rac cactus (epi) or perhaps a Hoya?

• Dzitmoidonc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Mara and Lzrddr. That is indeed the plant. I have turned away from the big Aloes that eat up my heated space to small ones that bloom in small pots. Last year that mophead bloom led me to believe that the stalk had frozen. This year, I am certain nothing froze, so I knew it was natural.

Light conditions were good yesterday for the old camera I have so the pics are somewhat good. No snow or ice yet like the center of the country, just clouds. Snow/ice starts before noon.

Rumbum, you are right. The name is Rhipsalis houlletianum. I keep switching it for some unknown reason. I hope the people who have received the cuttings are watching. I hate it when I do that, send out wrongly named plants. And then post them for all the world to see my idiocy.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Glad you got an ID for your Aloe, Dzitmo! I was going to say I thought that other plant was Rhipsalis houlletiana, but see you've figured that.

Glad you posted it, as we rarely get to see such gems! Thank you for that! Sorry to hear the snow/ice is starting! Yikes!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

That's a great looking Aloe, Dz - I'd lose my head over its vessel of flowers in a moment, and I'll bet it looks great coloured up by summer. You should get the other five, v. quartzicola, v. cipinicol....all the varieties denote what that variety grows in.

It was -25C last night - time to go chip the ice off of the well. Thanks for the pics. What's the pointy thing on the right-hand side in the first pic?

• Dzitmoidonc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeff, are you asking about the Argentine Toothpick? Stetsonia coryne, named after the same man as the Stetson hat. I'd like to get rid of that plant, but it belongs to dear daughter. She will not give me permission to donate it or leave it out for the winter, the fate of plants I don't want anymore.

-25C huh? Instead of spending money on a fence at the Mexican border, I have long been an advocate of building a taller (much much taller) fence to prevent Canadian weather from slipping south. Canadians love hockey, ice sculptures and winter sports. Great. Why do they insist on exporting their weather then? Shouldn't youall hoard your cold and snow? Gotta get that fence going.
    BTW, 5 inches (12cm) of snow so far since the morning, and it's still coming down pretty good.

RoRo, I am horrible at IDs for the most part. When I acquired a few plants at a time, I got to know them. When Bob Smoley was moving from Pittsburgh to FL, I happened to be working just around the corner in W PA. I walked through his greenhouse warrens and bought a whole lot more plants than I needed. His IDs are suspect, mine are worse.

Rumbum, I'll get back to you. I rarely trade because I am not looking to expand the collection, the opposite is true in fact. In the spring I can send you a branch for postage.