Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkplants_gw

Help with Aloe Hybrid

MKplants
9 years ago

Hello!

About a year and a half ago I purchased "Aloe Flow" (here is the info about the plant - this company's tag was in the plant - got it at a Home Improvement store, forget which one http://www.exoticangel.com/plant-library/species/aloe/item/625-aloe-flow)

I only water when the soil has dried out (I left it in its original soil and added some cactus soil when it looked like it needed some more). And its in a bright, sunny spot but not direct sunlight.

It has a lot of new growth so I don't think its dying but its getting long and straggly and the leaves are getting more smooth - without the white spots that the leaves should have (at least when I google all of the pictures are plump leaves with the white spots).

I've never fertilized.

Any ideas on how to get this guy back to his original shape.

I've attached a picture - I have more but could only figure out how to upload one (I'm new here!) and sorry that its sideways - Its upright in my file... if you click on it, it opens in a new window right side up)

Comments (9)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I'm not sure how deep the roots would grow in the wild but the pot might be a bit shallow. It's definently not dying but that might effect its shape a bit.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

The soil needs to be more porous, and some direct sun, gradually applied, would be better. If it's in a warm area and gets some water 3x a month or so now, along with the light, it will start reverting to form.

I hadn't heard of this hybrid (no real surprise there) but what I've found on the Interwebus is that this isn't actually an Aloe but a Gasteraloe (Gasteria crossed with an Aloe). It should, as you know, have much more compact growth. If it is indeed Gasteraloe 'Flow', the leaves should also be shorter. I want to think that you have a correctly ID'd plant, but I don't know. Still, it doesn't look all that unhealthy, but more direct sun, with most of its light indirect, would help it be all it can be.

• MKplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both so much! Yes- that is the variety - I still have the tag. "Gasteria verrucosa x aloe hybrid PPAF"

I will add some vermiculite tomorrow. I think I have some. If that is ok for this plant and check to make sure the roots are squished when I do - though I don't think its outgrown the pot yet.

I moved it to a spot that should get some direct sunlight in the afternoon.

• MKplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another thought - it's in a plastic pot. Should I change to clay??

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Perlite is better than vermiculite. Vermiculite holds water because it is absorbent . Perlite doesn't. Turface, pumice, Scouria is also appropriate.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of mine that i got at walmart.
    It is a "flow" aswell. But looks different than yours.
    Mine has about 4 small pups growing under the bottom leaves

• MKplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks good! Mine does not have the reddish color. But I think thats closer to what mine should look like (without the red)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The red comes from having lots of outdoor sunlight. Winter sun is really good at making red colors in aloes and gasteraloes. Yours might turn red if it had similar situation.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

Mine is about 4inches by 4 inches and it sits in a very small dish and has moss like stuff around it as you can see in the picture. Im holding it in my hand. I first thought it was an air plant and did not know there was even soil in the dish. It was labeled as "living decor" i may repot it in the spring into an actual pot. I has to have very small roots to be able to live in such a small amount of soil. The first time i watered it (i just sprayed water on the soil) it started growing and the pups are growing too! but they are coming in a very light green color. I may need to set the dish in a window to get sun.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21