Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deva33atlanta

can you ID this aloe?

Hello everyone,

I've had this aloe for a while now. It was ID'd as an aloe vera at the store but I have since been told that it is not in fact an aloe vera. So, can anyone tell me what it is? For the last year or so it have been growing leaves in an alternating, directly opposite pattern, so it was kinda like a half moon shape. BUT - I noticed when taking this picture that it is starting to go more circular. Is that normal? Anything to do with the amount of light?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Deva

Comments (20)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Many Aloe chinensis are sold as Aloe vera. A true Aloe vera will not have the white spots. As young pups they look quite similar.

My Aloe vera looked like your plant until it grew much larger. Mine is planted in the ground. You can see the speckled pups.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, do you think mine is just young still? I thought it was interesting that it is starting to go in that circular pattern?

Also, it is my understanding that aloes need more water than most succulents. Do you recommend sticking with the gritty mix and just adding a little more turface?

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Yours is the chinensis, the most common kind. I would say gritty. I water mine once a week, during summer under the full sun I watered mine once a week as well. You could easily go 2 weeks without water. During winter I didnt water mine for a month even though it was under high light and growing.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

This is my plant when I'd had it in a pot for about 8 months. Still fan shaped, but it eventually went into the circular shape. I don't know if I would say your plant is young, but mine surprised me by losing its spots when it got much larger, and older.

I use gritty for everything. I even put it into the holes when I plant something in the ground. It's very wet and humid here in SW Florida and my plants don't have to come in for the winter.

Edit - I guess I'm saying to assume it is A. chinesis unless it proves otherwise by losing its spots.

This post was edited by Crenda on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 15:35

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. I think you are right. Mine would probably be bigger if it wasn't for my dear boyfriend and I being misinformed and taking leaves to use as if it was aloe vera. I got some pups from my mother last week, so I can only hope they thrive and quickly grow into useable pieces of aloe. Otherwise I will be on the hunt for a large aloe vera come spring/summer.

and thanks for the tips on the potting media. I will move to gritty mix in the spring. I have a few that will be moved so a big mix is in my future!

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

If indeed this is Aloe Var. Chinensis and I agree with others that it looks like it is, but you can only wait and see... you can still use it for burns and other treatments too.
    It tends to grow more fan shaped, but can grow in a slow circle as it rotates to get light. It will grow up to possibly look like this: (my Aloe Var. Chinensis as of today ~ in bloom, but half spent already)

This post was edited by Anon-Cdn on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 18:11

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

It is a little over 2 years old, here's a closer look at the spots

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Ah, Anon, you plant is beautiful! Please show the flowers when they open up.

I was just talking to my mother. We both bemoaned all the succulents we have abused (killed!) indoors. We could not get a plant through the winter in northern climes.

I have had friends here in Florida tell me what a great gardener I am, but the truth is the weather is doing all the work. I have learned a great deal on this forum about how to give my plants what they need, but I really admire those of you who bring your plants in for the winter. You know what? I don't have a single house plant! I'm still afraid of killing them in my home!

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Lol, actually this plant is an indoors only plant.

I have close ups of the bloomstalk

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Close up of single flower:

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Best of luck with your aloe Deva!

Ok one more ;)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Yes, Deva - I think your plant is fine. And now we have the name,

Anon - I really like that Aloe. And you take terrific pictures! I've got babies, but so far no blooms.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. How many years do I have to wait for mine to get that big & bloom?!? Gorgeous!

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Only 2 years 3 months for the one in the pics.. 18-24 inch leaves, 36 inch bloomstalk.
    Snagged it as a 3 week old pup back in Aug 2012 from my parents place.

Not sure what else there is to say, surprised the hell out a me ;)

This post was edited by Anon-Cdn on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 22:04

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! How do you care for it? I've had mine for a year or two and it's nowhere near that size! I'm slacking!

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Dang, mine is year and a half and about 18" lower leaves. The only problem is they are not a perfect fan like yours. During summer I move it to my balcony and its most likely I didnt place it accordingly. So it has leaves in other directions. You took good care of yours. Ive already had 2 pots worth of pups Ive had to give away. This spring Ill have to make another 2 pots. They grow so fast that they push the soil out. Love this aloe.

Your pic is amazing, I love it. Ive attached a pic of a giant aloe, I dont know who the owner of the plant or pic is. I really want to hear it from them how they took care of this aloe and a recent pic of it.

Does anyone else have giant aloes or other plants that we dont normally see? I really wanted to make a thread but decided not to because I dont think there will be many people.

EDIT: google searched the image and found that its posted by aseedisapromise in 2012 in the topic: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0316144331815.html
    Is that user still around? I would love to hear from you how its doing.

This post was edited by NameTaken on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 23:24

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Anon, did your aloe have many pups? I wonder - in case it didn't - if that helped it to bloom so fast.

Rina

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Dozens of them in the last year in fact. Has 6 in the pot with it atm lol.â¦

I never let them get too big before removing them though, 8-10 inches at the most.

Nice to see you again Rina,

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

WOW! I've had my aloe for a while and it's still not that big.

Great Job!

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Sorry Deva missed your question back there,

For the first year it grew OK with minimal care in a south facing basement window full sun, weekly watering, with occasional fertilizer.

After reading up on GW forums I switched to FP 9-3-6 fertilizer this spring and used it every watering at 1/4 strength. I now water every week or two and very recently switched to a gritty mix. I've been rewarded over the summer with fantastic growth (had to move it upstairs due to size) and now the bloom stalk!

Best wishes with your Aloe(s)!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County