Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

...so will it turn to plain green now?

My first jade (Crassula ovata) developed beautiful red tips and even some orange sherbet coloring near the tips before it was recently brought inside. The best I can do for it, light-wise, is a few hours of slightly dappled light instead of the full sun it was in.

Will that make it turn plain green again? The already-red leaves or just the new ones?

If so, most days it's well above freezing here and sunny. Would shuttling this plant in/out (almost) daily keep it red on the edges?

Does that black thing 2 leaves to the right of my finger look like a scale?

Comments (17)

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

Looking nice Purple, had to go check mine and only a few still have the red and it is just very thin around the edge. Stevi

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking! I've decided to shuttle this ONE plant in/out daily. It's just so - colorful!

Those little black things/dots have me worried though.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

purple,

Lighten up! That's just what your plant's going to do - not lose its colours completely, but it will lose the intensity of them, to come back when there's more light.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! But it's been near 80 all week, seems silly for it to be inside. I can't shuffle 100+ pots in/out repeatedly, but this one is different.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Purple~
    What are your temps at night? Jades like cool nights warm days.
    JoJo

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Purple, first of all, plants do not have colours, they have colors. People who think plants are anything but green will lead you down a garden path. These people have shown pictures of all red Aloes, vivid blue Echeverias and other such "colours". Plants are supposed to be green, ask any kid. Besides, here in the north, I can't get those colors easily and you shouldn't have them either.

Seriously, with less light, your tan fades, so does the red edge on the Jade. It will return with the more energetic rays in the spring. Give yourself a rest. Watching the color come and go gives rhythm to the year.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Yes, take it in and out :-)
    I shuttle a select few plants outside when the temps hit 60F (or better) year-round.

Josh

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I am going to have to bring some plants in for 2 nights and then out they go again.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hi Purple...It's beautiful.

This time of the year, I would expect your jade to get bold colors like that since your sun is very hot by day and nights are very cool.
    It will revert back to green without the cool nights or hot sun.

Having to bring it inside is always dependent on the mix you use. Mine were outside until temps starting dipping into the 30's by night,and did fine. As long as the mix they are in dries out pretty fast, by night fall and it receives sun first thing in the am.

That spot will spread if you don't scrub it off with your fingernail. I don't know what kind of bug it is, but I keep mine free of those after a few years ago.

Very nice

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hi Purple...It's beautiful.

This time of the year, I would expect your jade to get bold colors like that since your sun is very hot by day and nights are very cool.
    It will revert back to green without the cool nights or hot sun.

Having to bring it inside is always dependent on the mix you use. Mine were outside until temps starting dipping into the 30's by night,and did fine. As long as the mix they are in dries out pretty fast, by night fall and it receives sun first thing in the am.

That spot will spread if you don't scrub it off with your fingernail. I don't know what kind of bug it is, but I keep mine free of those after a few years ago.

Very nice

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies, and really funny, Dzitmoidonc!

The weather here is great, but frustrating, plant-wise. It's went back up into the 50's at night since bringing all of my plants in.

This jade has been outside day and night this week. It's not drying out as fast as it was since I cut down the Zinnia that was in its' pot but going back out in the sun fixed that too.

Mike, I've scraped a few of them off. I'll continue to do that. It's just a tiny plant.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Our weather has been flip floping too. This past week days in the 80's but next week , monday will be a high of 59! Thanks Josh! ;-) I guess we will be getting the tail end of your storms. lol.

I leave all my plants out in a little green house I cover with an extra blanket when frost or freezes and have never lost one to cold.

Sounds like your getting plenty of exercise Purple. ;-)

My mom grumps because Arizona doesn't have changes in color with the season. I tease we do! My Jades and hybrid Aloes change colors. ;-)

JoJo

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, this plant was inside for a few weeks, but is back out now. Still plenty of red. I never did get clear on if they stay red when they're in the sun all the time...?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I think people might be hesitant to make a proclamation on your plants red staying power because a plant behaves differently in different places and what a planr does in California, northern Michigan, Central Texas are all different from what happens in Alabama. It might also bear an what light a plant gets in its indoor position.

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Hmm... I am curious what that "spot" is too. I have seen one or two on my jades.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Red's always there - more intense when it's cold / very sunny....if you're wanting a proclamation, that is.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies! It's almost always sunny here... windows are open today.

This plant doesn't really have a particular spot inside. It just kind of hangs out until it can go back out. If it's in all day, I usually move it to get sun in the morning, then another room for more afternoon sun.