Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Christmas Cactus begins to bloom!

The Christmas Cactus is opening a little early this year, but she looks to have a nice set of blooms! Always a welcome splash of color as we wind our way toward the darkest day of Winter Solstice. Are yours coming into flower, as well?

Josh

Comments (39)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second view:

Original Author
    10 years ago

And third view:

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

On my! That is a very nice BIG plant you have...just beautiful!

• Christine
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Love those colorful winter splashes of cheer. And what a great corner for the plant, with light coming in from different sides.

I am away from my CC, but it was in heavy bud when I left and I'm looking forward to seeing it in another week.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Almost 35 years old now!
    Pruning keeps it manageable, and those nice windows help keep it vital during the Winter. Even so, notice that it flowers most heavily on the eastern exposure.

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Amazing Christmas Cactus Josh...she's HUGE and healthy. Beautiful blooms!

I'll let you know if my small one decides to grace me with some pretty blooms this season, I've only had it several months...from a very nice member here :o)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Nancy! I can't wait to see yours blooming!
    We have some very generous members here, don't we?

Josh

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Wow! 35 years...she's a beauty.

I would love some cuttings if you have any to spare at your next pruning.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Oh my Josh!!! You know how to awe many of us with your amazing plants! You know the secret behind some of the most beautiful plants...

To think it's that old and still healthy, alive speaks volumes..Thanks for sharing in many ways pal.

Mike

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

She's a stunner, Josh! If the mood strikes you, I'd love to see a head-on pic of those flowers. Do they look like candy-cane stripes too? Thanks for sharing!
    Tiffany

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello, Camellia, Mike, and Tiffany! Thanks for the kind words :-) Tiffany, I'll get a couple closer pics as soon as I can. Yes they do look like candy-cane stripes!

Josh

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Kudos! Well grown!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Cheers! Thanks, Tommy!
    A couple more pics....for Tiffany ;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Closer...

Original Author
    10 years ago

And closer...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Excellent! The radial symmetry and straight-ness of the blooms is very distinctly visible in these pics.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow!! Your CC is really putting out a beautiful show...thanks for posting Josh!! Just beautiful!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! It's pretty full this year :-)

Josh

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

My True CC is starting to bloom. I wasn't sure it was going to this year. Despite a summer outside where it thrived, I dropped the pot bringing it in one night in October because it was getting too cold. It had to sit in a bin unpotted in my dining room for a week because I had a death in the family the next day.

Just an aside...I dropped the pot on the deck at 11 pm after returning from a class that night. This plant is 43 years old and gigantic. My 17 year old daughter heard the crash, came out on the deck and said in a snarky way, "if you needed help, you could've asked." She's lucky she's faster than me.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

So sorry about your loss Laura...

Wow, 43 years old...sounds like another amazing Christmas Cactus, looking forward to pictures. Lol...kids :o)

Hoping mine will get some too...will post a picture "if" it does.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous plants.Mine are outside and are in bud,with just a few blooms so far.We've had a couple real cold nights(for us) so I hope they survive.
    kathi

• hijole
    10 years ago

Josh, Your plant is screaming Merry Christmas alright and a Happy New year with all those blooms. Nice display of cheer :)

Greg

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello! Well we've passed the Solstice and the plants will be delighting in the increasing solar values from here on out! Merry Christmas to all! And cheers, Greg! ;-)

My cutting-started CC's are beginning to bloom as well.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes Josh..I ALWAYS look forward to this day!!!! It is such an uplifting thought and I know the sun will last an extra 3 - 4 minutes each day...The sun will be stronger than yesterday...:-)))

Do you remember this plant? I am loving it and it is very special..:-)

{{gwi:68330}}

{{gwi:738144}}

Mike....

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes Josh..I ALWAYS look forward to this day!!!! It is such an uplifting thought and I know the sun will last an extra 3 - 4 minutes each day...The sun will be stronger than yesterday...:-)))

Do you remember this plant? I am loving it and it is very special..:-)

{{gwi:68330}}

{{gwi:738144}}

Mike....

• layean
    10 years ago

Wow, that is very nice !
    I just bought the plants , and it looks quite an old plant. I am living at Melbourne,Australia.
    I have tried to gather information on how to care for this plant. I have few questions, hopefully I can get the feedback here
    1) Where should I place the plant? Indoor or outdoor? I am now placing the plant outdoor,under lots of trees,where it can get indirect light.
    2) We have the temperature of average 15-25 degree,humidity is about 50%. The season now is summer.
    3) I am using potting mix, and I am using clay pot, with only 1 hole at the bottom. Should I change it self watered pot?
    4) which type of fertilizer I have to use?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beautiful Mike!! Your CC is very healthy and the flowers are very pretty!!

The CC I received from a generous member is blooming too...I'm very excited since I've only had this for several months!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Blooms are opened...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

One more...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, beautiful, Nancy! So happy it's blooming this season! :-)

You bet I remember those, Mike, you've really brought those cuttings along well!

Layean, sounds like you're doing everything right, although I might suggest a bark-based mix instead of standard potting mix. As for fertilizer, just use a good fertilizer at about 1/4 strength at least a few times a month during the prime growing season.

My CC continues its bloom, new flowers opening as the old ones fall away....

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh!! Your CC just keeps looking great!!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Superb show Everybody,

Thank you all for posting them, really is such Good Cheer & just so Beautiful! Happy New Year to You All!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy and Karen! Happy New Year! May the blooms continue! My smaller CC's are starting to bloom now, including my "bonsai" CC. I'll have to post pics once they open.

Josh

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Very nice everyone! Mine are just soldiering along. I've started a few new :)

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Nancy! I'm so excited your cuttings bloomed! I thought I'd take a pic of the mom before she was all bloomed out.

See all my moon cactus?? My son,who is in college and working part-time at Walmart, bought them for me for Christmas. He said, wow! I got you something you didn't have. LOL

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura, I was hoping you would see my post...I just love my CC!!

What a gorgeous CC!! Wow, look at all those blooms! How nice of your son to get you plants especially something you don't already have...Nice picture!!

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Just beautiful!

Laura, how old is your plant?

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Thanks Nancy! SO happy for you. :)

Camellia, this plant was started in 1972. I have only been in possession of it for about 1 1/2 years, though.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello! Beautiful picture! Great to see you all here, too :-)

Josh