Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anielskim

Help my poor jade plant

anielskim
10 years ago

I went to my mothers today and saw a jade plant dying in her garage.

The whole thing was sagging and hanging over the pot. There was a new leave growing so i cut off the 6in of dead sagging plant and repotted, watered it, and brought it inside.

Is there any chance of it surviving? Should a seal the cut somehow? If so, how? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Oh man, my Mom does the same thing, doesn't even ask if I can bring plants to my house - which I SO would. If it's not mushy, it should come back, looks nice and dry. How long has it been since the rescue? Do you know how long it was out there? People prune/defoliate them on purpose, though not usually quite that much. I'd put it in the sunniest spot you have (inside.)

• anielskim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just cut, repotted, and watered it 10 mins ago. Its been in the garage for probably 3-4 months. And it is a bit soft.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Out of my league for predictions. That's a long time of no light. Sending good vibes!

• anielskim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha thanks for help.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Well a bit soft is not good, but the plant does look good from here.

The mix however, looks atrocious (pardon me) & will likely be a problem. See how peaty it looks? It even looks like 2 different kinds of mix almost, in the center differing from the outer mix?

I'd recommend better draining mix (read around here, there's LOADS of info. on this) , maybe a clay pot? Does that pot have a drainage hole?

Others have more experience w/ these than I, but give it time, gradually more light & don't water it until you see more new growth.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It should live. Good luck :-)
    Not much to add. Better mix, smaller pot, as much light as possible.

Josh

• anielskim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm using Miracle-Groî Cactus, Palm and Citrus Soil

• anielskim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

why would it need a smaller pot? And yes the pot has a hole

• hermie3rd
    10 years ago

I'm fairly new to succulents. But I've read a ton on here, and taken advice from Josh, PG, and Purple on loads of plants.....they know what they're talking about!

From what I've read on here before, you should cut your soil with at least 50% perlite. After doing this, I've noticed all my jades, (and other plants) have been doing much better. It allows the soil to dry out more quickly, so the roots aren't as likely to succumb to root rot. It also allows oxygen to get at the roots, which is imperative.

Good luck!
    Renee

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

And, btw, go easy on watering at first - usual advice is to let cutting to callus first for few days (whenever I have cuttings, I let them sit outside of the soil for few days, even weeks & usually don't water immediately after putting into soil-maybe after few days or a week), then pot into a well draining mix.
    Watch the area circled on your photo for any sign of 'softness' - just in case you see/feel it, you should immediately take the cutting out, re-cut, callus and pot without watering as already mentioned.

Your cutting looks good otherwise, wants to live...

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 8:52

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Maybe I'm confused....

Is this a cutting? Or is this the stump portion of the plant with roots?

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Josh

Maybe it's me misunderstanding...re-reading op, maybe it's the stump with roots. I thought the piece was cut off...sorry if I caused confusion.

Rina (who should not give advice unless 100% sure)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County