Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dephora

Winter vs Summer Growers

dephora
9 years ago

Hello All! :)

I recently just got into succulents after moving to zone 9b-10a (depending on what zone tracker I use heh). My grandmother always had them so they aren't totally beyond me.

My backyard is full of planted succulents, a few pots as well. The weather has finally cooled off from our 100 degree heat and it is in the lower 80s now and lows in the 50s.

I am now seeing growth even on plants that should not be winter growers but didn't do a thing in spring and summer. So here are my questions.

1. Should I fertilize now? With many of my plants finally growing like crazy, would this be the time to give them the extra boost?

2. What months are considered in the "Winter grower" "Summer grower" ranges? I see people say these words a lot, but with living in an area that never really is "Winter" weather I am confused when it really starts, at certain temps? What are the temps?

3. Is there a table someplace that shows what types of succulents are Winter vs Summer growers?

4. And finally what fertilizer do you consider the best? I have been reading about 3:1:2 ratio a lot but don't know exactly what fertilizers offer that. I have a miracle gro cactus plant food liquid mix but it has been raining and I am afraid to fertilize with it because I would need to water my plants even more.

Thanks so much for reading! Sorry for all the questions but the more I read the more questions I have.

Comments (2)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

It will be easier to figure out when you know what you have, and easier to answer when we know what you have, so pictures are useful.

For the most part, many succulents are opportunistic - they'll grow when it's not too hot (and not too cold, but I'll dispense with that subsection because I'll assume we're not working with cold-hardy succulents).

Many members of the Crassula family will grow in the temps you describe, so seeing growth on them in not unusual in your zone-only when it's too warm (or too cool) will things slow down or stop. Many of these plants also have their flowering triggered, if the plants are mature enough, by the short-daylight-hours days.

Many other plants, and I'm talking tropical succulents (like Sarcocaulon/Monsonia) can have a dormant period, but don't have to if one keeps them sunned, warmed and watered enough.

Still others have to have a dormant period, when you want to keep them almost/completely totally dry until their cycle starts again.

There aren't as many winter-growers as one might think, given your climate, but some are Tylecodons, some species of Aloe, Pachycormus, and Dudleya.

Inexpensive general-purpose 1/4 diluted fertilizer is what I suggest, but it's like potting soil or interior directions - ask 100 people and get as many different answers. Some folks spend a lot on their supplies, and some don't - the difference doesn't necessarily make better plants.

If there's a succulent society or club in your area, I suggest you join it - they often have libraries, they certainly have plants, and their members are positively riotous.

• dephora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah! I see, that makes sense why I am seeing so much growth on my succulents. When the heat was in the 100s they seemed just as miserable as me.

My backyard is totally full to the brim with succulents. I joined a society near me a year ago, but I live in a weird pocket on the backend of a mountain. So we are so dry and hot here, everyone else in the group lives closer to the beach.

Since they do get much cooler and their ground is different I find the things they talk about in meetings usually aren't what I am concerned about. They have so many different opinions when I ask a question that I feel rather intimidated to talk to anyone as I am not sure who is correct ^o^. I mostly only go to meetings for their dollar succulent sale. ;)

But! I have been meaning to make a list of all my plants. Maybe next week of vacation I will go out there and write everything down.

Thank you for the information though on the fertilizer, I like that you are thinking cheap! Mabye if I had one or two pots I would pick up the expensive stuff. But with a whole backyard to cover I got to think of my pocket book. I appreciate the help.