Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Jade - White cracked hole and scratches

Posted by Jade18 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 15:52

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what might be happening to my agave? You can see the white spot on the leaf which is cracked all the way through. There are other spots on the plant with tiny holes or scratches. My assumption is that it's a weevil, though I haven't seen any at all.

I plan on repotting the agave in well-draining mix, but is there anything I can do to treat the plant? Any information would be great.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Agave - White cracked hole and scratches

Pet damage, or a slug/snail, is my guess. A weevil would usually go to the core. I can't suggest anything until we know for sure, but when you're repotting you can do a thorough inspection of the undersides of the leaves, where the critter may be hanging out.

o
RE: Sick Jade - White cracked hole and scratches

Expecting jade but got agave...Nice plant, though!

Christopher.

o
RE: Sick Agave - White cracked hole and scratches

Cactusmcharris, thanks so much! It may be a slug/snail because I had it outside before taking it in. The problem started outside.

Kaktuskris, I just noticed that, oops! Thanks

o

'White cracked hole and scratches'

Now most forums wouldn't discuss homemade sugar donuts with claws, but we have a full-service one here, just blessed with it, I think.

o

I wouldnt be too concerned, it may not even be from a creature, though it does look suspiciously like it. It could have been anything that poked a hole thru the leaf, the generally make spots like that to seal off the wound.

I see spots like this on agaves alot around here, its often from a pup growing too large and stabbing its terminal spine thru a mature leaf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here