Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter succulent foliage color

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 16:08

This xMangave 'Macho Mocha' is one of the succulents that I always enjoy looking at year round in the garden, and never had heard of it before a trip to the JC Raulston Arboretum almost 8 years ago now. I found it hard to believe at the time that something so succulent could take winter weather in North Carolina, and also does as well here in balmier northern California. I my only complaint about the plant is that it must be planted in a spot where you won't damage/tear/break the leaves, and slugs and snails can do real damage in the winter. I've also discovered that deer may take a liking to the foliage, and seldom leave the bloom stalk alone once they discover it. On the other hand, it can take full hot sun or light shade, seldom needs more than once a month irrigation here by the bay, and looks this colorful year round. Are there many others here that also like this plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: xMangave 'Macho Mocha'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter succulent foliage color

I have one growing in the ground here. The snails love it so I have to continuously bait it. Its definitely one of my favorite plants

o

Lovely! Who are its neighbors?

o

Penny, Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' in the back.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 17:26

Penny, I'm including a wider shot of these container plantings, showing the other things around it. Lots of succulents in play here, including some woody ones like the Cussonia paniculata and the Yucca 'Blueboy'. I wanted a lot of silvery tones and lavenders to play off the subtle grays of the mid century modern house. Check out the rest of the set on my Flickr set to see more succulents in this same garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container plantings at Fairchild Residence

o

My deer make it impossible to grow here.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 19:11

The deer left it alone here for the first several years in this garden, (all except for the flowering spike), but this past summer/fall they have been eating it to the nubs. Deer, what a pain in the _ss!

o

I loved the photo "catching the evening light" such lovely soft colors.

Fred Ives seems to take on such different shapes to me. I thought it was Fred, but then, not quite sure. I guess it gets clumpy or leggy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here