9 years ago

Finally very pretty flower

Comments (21)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!ðÂÂÂ

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

That's a beauty, Spike! Mine were slow to bloom this year, too.

I took a picture of mine this morning (moved it a little off of the cooktop!). It has lots of blooms, finally. While it looks good, the flowers are nothing special - just the usual red.

(OT - by the way, if you are still interested in a Yucca, send me an email. You don't have yours accessible on your profile, but I do.)

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What type of yucca I've never grown them but would love to try

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

My Christmas Cactus is slowly budding up and should put on quite a show later this month and into January. I took a pic last week of the developing buds....

Spike and Crenda, those are Thanksgiving Cacti you show, yes?

Josh

9 years ago

Full shot of the CC....
    She put on some size this Summer.

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Ah, yes - mine is indeed a TC. And holy cow, that is a great Christmas Cactus! I must look for one. I usually only see TCs in this area.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Spike - to tell you the truth, I am not sure what kind of Yucca I have. It's a dark green, no variegation. All of them grow well outside here. Click on my name to go to my profile, then send me an email. I'll send you a picture of the plant my pups are from.

• byron_pdx
    9 years ago

Josh,

Is your plant a Buckleyii? It certainly doesn't appear to be one of the truncatas.

Thanks,
    --Byron.

9 years ago

Correct, Byron.
    My plant is a true Christmas Cactus.

Josh

• silenteyesspy
    9 years ago

Hi Josh!! Here's mine, about to open. Question though, what causes some of the buds to shrivel up? Like some have been growing, and then stop and shrivel upâ¦It happens every year. Any ideas?

Greg J.

9 years ago

Hey, Greg! A few of my buds are getting some color saturation now, too!

The shriveling buds could be due to inconsistent moisture, nutrients, light, temperature, or humidity. I just gave my plant a mild fertilization last week to ensure nutrients present for the continuing formation of large healthy buds. I really think it helps.

Josh

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well since my ch cactus is blooming its in its original pot only problem theres white fungus on top no Rot yet though what is in a ch cavtus mix I only have potting soil orchid mix and perlite will this work

9 years ago

Just use the orchid mix and perlite, no potting soil necessary.

Josh

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The oirchid mix has big particals

9 years ago

Perfect. These plants love an open, bark-based mix. Allows you to water more often and bring oxygen and moisture into the root-zone.

Josh

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Wow!! Awesome plants and flowers everybody...thanks for posting!!

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So what's the physical differences between tc and cc

9 years ago

Pointed margins of the leaf-segments (phylloclades), angle of the flower, and symmetry of the flower. Those are the three main differences.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Spike and others.....here's a useful site that gives good descriptions and cultural info etc on the varieties of jungle cacti we like to grow. Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: link to info on jungle cacti varieties

9 years ago

Gill, thanks so much for posting that link.
    I haven't been able to find it since the original page disappeared.

Josh

• silenteyesspy
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Josh!! Though I always had a theory that if a plant makes too many buds some will shrivel and fall off. You know how I am with my Truncata and Xbuckleyi, I take really great care of them. I just always wanted another's opinion. It's like, there were tons of blooms that bloomed since Thanksgiving. I just think that one it becomes end of December that the excess starts dying off.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner