Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Mammillaria Plumosa~ A few Pink Dainty Blooms

jojosplants
11 years ago

This is one of my favorites. She's so soft and cushy! lol.. Just a few blooms this season, but sweet none the less. It's about to bust out of it's pot too. I guess a new one next year. :-) Right now it's in a 4" tall pot. Would it be OK to go more shallow?

JoJo

Comments (7)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a shot of the pot.

JoJo

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    11 years ago

Very nice! I have mine in the ground out in full sun. Like yours, it started flowering recently. Unfortunately, the flowers were all it took to attract the attention of Harris ground squirrels, which attacked the poor little thing savagely, eating all flowers and buds, then biting deep gashes into the heads themselves. Nice. :-( I've never had issues with Harris ground squirrels before and they don't bother any of my other 15 Mamm species, also in the ground. Oh well, live and learn...

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Jojo, she is cute....
    Marie

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

JoJo,
    I looooove your Plumosa! I don't think the pink flowers are common, I think they produce yellow flowers more often than not.

Planto

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello,
    Thank you all for your kind words :-) Looking in a book last night , it seems her common name is 'Feather Cactus' and I can see why. To touch this one, it's soft and like I said 'cushy'. I've had her 3 yrs now.

Germanstar~ I'm so sorry to hear yours was eaten. :-( critters sure can be frustrating! I don't have very many plants in the ground. Not enough room here. It's a small property. We do have Javelina that visit from time to time. They were here a few weeks ago on the patio and I had to run out in the night and move my collection of Hybrid Aloes up to higher grounds!

Planto~ Now you have me curious and wanting one that will bloom yellow! lol.. I don't think I've seen a yellow bloom. Hmmm.... come spring just may have to go get a few more of these. ;-)
    I think I have a few seeds from this ! I have odds and ends I'm tempted to start! I get stir crazy with winter. lol.

Marie, You need you one of these. ;-)

JoJo

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Jojo,
    I was looking to see if I had a photo somewhere of when mine bloomed, but I can't seem to find one. It had yellow blooms. If only I could find a pink one!

I also lost mine when our apt people hired someone to pressure wash our patio and failed to notify us (long story). I'm still looking for a replacement. I found one in town earlier this year but I could see something wrong with it.

I just love seeing your cacti. Is your son still gardening with you?

Planto

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the critter empathy JoJo, I do believe my M. plumnosa will survive if the ground squirrels will turn their attention elsewhere, which could happen now that winter is here in earnest. It has about twenty some heads, so it's been around for a while.

Sorry to hear about your Javelina, my property is central to a large extended family, and we can really only plant what they'll allow in our front yard. I'm sure you'll agree, the damage they can inflict is breathtaking. All our Mamms are in a fenced backyard, out of harm's way, or so I thought. Javelina eat Mamms like kids eat M&Ms.

BTW, my M. plumosa blooms were cream-colored (or pale yellow) -- your pink blooms are really much prettier and more unusual, AFAIK!