o
Tea cup and 2 saki cups.

Posted by calif888 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 16:35

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea cup and 2 saki cups.

I quite like the solid black cup (and the shape of the plant in it). It has a nice, modern shape.

o

Teatree:::Thanks for all your kind comments. I think you "get" what I am trying to do. I too like the clean shape of Asian tea cups....NO handles,,,,,,,,,,,,,

o

Nice arrangement, I particularly like the Raku style pot on the right. I love the crackle effect of Raku.

o

EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(That's a squeal of delight and adoration, in case you weren't sure.)

Must figure out how to get mine to do that!

*CG*

o

Uncle Mark,

Nice plant.

BTW, it's Romanized sake, and if you want to use an honorific (for when you're discussing the Emperor's sake) it's osake.

Karen,

You see that pattern in celadon pottery, too, so what makes it raku?

o

The crackled cup is my favorite of the three 'pots' as well. I, too, am curious as to how that pattern would make it raku. I know I have a seal a potter friend of mine make in the raku manner but it does not have a crackled appearance.

o

Hi Jeff,

I don't know Celadon pottery, but I do know crackled glass a bit, so sort of know what you mean. True Raku (rather than my Raku-style mention) as I saw it made abt 40 yrs. ago is fired not in a kiln, but in a firepit in the ground & covered w/ straw. Something in the interaction of the heat, glazes & straw (& maybe its salt content as well?) I believe is what makes that crackle, & its particular, yet variable look rather than the very consistent look of this pot. (Seen at Art School, Hinckley Maine, age 17, hanging out in the open glass house watching the potters & glassblowers while on smoke break.)

o

Jeff:::: sakE it is,,,,,my bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pirategirl:::Thanks for the RAKU insight....learning something new every day at GW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Now we need an Asian friend to translate the caligraphy on the 2 sake cups.
My guess=BOTTOMS UP, LONG LIFE, or GOOD FORTUNE.

o

Cambai! ;-)

Josh

o

Josh:::::I do not undestand the CAMBAI,,,,went to google/no help.......
Let me make a guess---Is this what you say in Japan when you take a sip of sake
?????

o
'Empty cup!'

You got it, Mark! ;-)
I guess "Kampai" is a more widely recognized Japanese transliteration....
Same cognate for Chinese, too.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Toast (honor) - Wiki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here