Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

Keeping them completely dry - How safe?

tired_of_digging
9 years ago

I am exploring the realm of the "difficult" plants, comprising few Pachypodium, Uncarina, Brachistelma and Pseudolithos species among others.
Of-course difficulty is relative: My climate is different enough to make them classified as difficult. First, temperature gets slightly under the required minimum temperature for some, but this comprises just a few. I would rather say my temperature is "marginal". I live in zone 11 and temperature may drop down to 3�C (37.4�F).
The greatest difficulty is water - Mediterranean climate means rain begins in the fall and lasts till spring - the complete opposite for those I am planning to cultivate. Watering them in summer is no problem. Keeping them dry in winter (under a shed) has its own problem: Roots getting too dry.

My question is like this: Plants growing in the soil would have their humidity naturally buffered: not peaking suddenly and not drying-out completely. Soil humidity gradually evaporates or absorbed by plants, so even in a "dry" winter, soil may retain little humidity during that winter. Some growers advice to water sparingly because roots are slightly active and absorb little water even when dormant. Other growers do not mention that and advice to withhold water completely.

So how to "water sparingly"? A few drops of water are sufficient to regulate humidity to natural levels? If I wet the topsoil and allow the water to seep by capillary action, is that considered a good practice?

Comments (5)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I'm a little confused- so they're under a shed but in pots?

• tired_of_digging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right, I don't plant them in their ground for various reasons.
    The main one: Humidity requirements - They should get little to no rain in winter. I'm planning to use a transparent shed, i.e. a plexiglass cover, which can be removed in summer and stored for the next season.
    The second reason is attempting to achieve a compact growth typical for succulent bonsai. If all goes well, I'll be able to sell some of these, but meanwhile this is an exploration project.

I'm starting with those that get the right temperatures year-round in my area. Once the project seems manageable in weekends and few hours remaining after work, as well as yielding some profits (and more seeds), I'll be more confident to install a climate-control system for the harder-to-grow species.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I looked at some pictures of those types of plants and a lot didn't have much in terms of roots. I guess that the trunks or bulbs store a lot of water so just a little water from the top should be okay. Maybe for some you could put themin a tray of water just for a little while.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

A lot depends on what species you are growing. If you live in southern California, most Uncarinas like the winter rains, and some Pachypodiums do very well in winter rains as well (some do not). Pseudolithos are indeed harder to keep happy, and I would be very reluctant to water one at all in winter (I have little luck with those outdoors).

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

The Pseudolithos should be kept almost completely dry and warm in winter, it at all possible. If you can't keep it warmish, completely dry is best. I would give it the barest of sips during winter if you can keep it warm all the time, and especially warm on the day you water it. It's so easy to lose them, and they can look fine for months and months, until you jostle the pot and realize it died months ago.

The same for the Brachystelma.

Most Pachypodium are dormant, but the leafage will tell you whether you should be watering. Again, if it's warm in general, a little watering of these while leafless is OK - just don't make a habit of it then, as you likely wouldn't want to do it more than 1-2x a month, but I've never grown P. brevicaule, supposedly the most demanding.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?