Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shauntavia

buying true christmas cactus

shauntavia
11 years ago

Is there anywhere online where I can buy a true christmas cactus? i googled and everything coming up looks like they are thanksgiving cacti

Comments (24)

• gramadea
    11 years ago

I have seen them (cuttings) advertised for sale on Ebay but if you go that route be sure and ask for a close-up photo of the leaves to ID that it is truly Schlumbergera x buckleyi. I may have some cuttings available in the spring. Mine is blooming now and usually gives me a second bloom in February. I take cuttings in April as a rule. Good luck with your search.

Blessings,
    Dea

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Shaunta,

They don't seem to be commercially available; more like what folks share in person or swap. If you do other searches abt this on here, you'll find it's near impossible to find these for sale at nurseries & better deal to try & trade for some (come Spring).

• shauntavia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for your responses! i will check back in the spring! thanks for the offer Dea!

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

At a nursery here in my town, they do have the true Christmas Cactus for sale. So at least around here, it is not impossible to come by. I would think some other older smaller nurseries would carry it as well.

Christopher

• val1
    11 years ago

I found mine at a local, family-owned nursery. She had taken cuttings of her mother's plant and rooted them. I bought two plants and put them together. It looked rather rough when I got it, but it looks great now.

Last year.

Now.

In bud with a starter plant in the window.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Would all one would need to get this plant going would be one single piece/section, then how do you get it to root? Just put it in a cup of water in a window sill for a while till there were enough roots to plant it?

And are the rounded edges what separates a true CC from a TC where the latter has more jagged edges?

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

There's a thread going on rooting CC/TC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Christmas Cactus

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Val, what a heathy, beautiful CC!

• val1
    11 years ago

Laura, thank you. I was very excited to find it and it has grown so much this year. I saw your new CC on other thread and it is beautiful too. I hope mine fills in as nicely as yours. In the spring, I took a few cuttings and added them to the pot in hopes to make it look more full.

I have to admit that I am crazy over these plants. I spend my extra time looking at all the different colors of TC and browse the plant departments often. I would love to have more of them but I am running out of space.

Bsmith, here is a website that explains the difference between CC, TC and EC. I found it very helpful.

http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Thank you!

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Shaunta,
    I found cuttings on eBay after searching "Schlumbergera x buckleyi". There's only a couple being offered today, but take a look at the completed auctions to see what has been available. Prices seem to vary drastically. Maybe higher as we get closer to Christmas. However, more difficult to ship well due to the cold.

I went on a local search last week. My first visits were to older family nurseries like Christopher mentioned. I found a small pot of four, two segmented cuttings for $5. at my first stop. I thought I would pass because I wanted a large plant, but decided to fork over the $5. I'm glad I did as it was the only one I found after six or seven nurseries.

Val, your plant is beautiful. (Yours, too, Laura!) I'm amazed at how much it grew in just one year. How do you treat it?

Gail

• shauntavia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG VAL! That plant is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Sigh, I will try ebay, but i think when i looked the edges looked jagged, which I've learned actually TC. Don't have any small nurseries around here so I will keep trying!

...nevermind found someone to send me cuttings!!!! so excited!!!

This post was edited by shauntavia on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 17:27

• val1
    11 years ago

Gail, I am new to these plants since I purchased my first one last year at this time. I purchased this CC in February and immediately repotted it because the soil was a block of hard peat. I removed almost all of the old soil and planted in a lighter mix. All my plants are located near a south window and I water with a half dose of tomato fertilizer with every watering until fall (and sometimes even then). I believe I have just been lucky.

Shauntavia, thank you for the compliment. I am glad to hear that you have found some cuttings.

• melissd
    11 years ago

PLEASE help ive had my plants for a few years and love them i have several different colors. My roof leaked and my plants where drowned in full budding now they are all dyeing any ideas on how to bring back or is someone selling clippings the only 1 that survived is the yellow because i had moved it to make room i would be willing to trade clippings and send pic of plant

• melissd
    11 years ago

PLEASE help ive had my plants for a few years and love them i have several different colors. My roof leaked and my plants where drowned in full budding now they are all dyeing any ideas on how to bring back or is someone selling clippings the only 1 that survived is the yellow because i had moved it to make room i would be willing to trade clippings and send pic of plant

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Hi, melissd. Well, if you have a question, this isn't how to go about it; you would need to start a new thread and write clearly and considerately, explaining what happened. People probably won't answer you much here because that would be hijacking someone else's (the person who originally posted this) thread. But this isn't a trade forum, so we aren't supposed to ask for trades here, either.

But someone might e-mail you if he/she will have clippings available in the spring. I'm sorry to hear your roof leaked. If there are any healthy-looking parts of the affected plants, cut those pieces and hope they might root in dry soil and with spritzes of water every so often. And I mean, anything remotely decent-looking or that hasn't turned to mush, because in the past I have had over-watered Thanksgiving cacti with withered-looking leaves survive in the form of cuttings-- I know truly healthy cuttings are best, but I've had a few miracles and withered pieces have rooted for me. It doesn't hurt to try; if they're not mushy, try some cuttings. I'd maybe also check the roots of the plants to see what's happening there, and if there are any healthy roots, let the plants dry out (unpotted) for a few days and cut off any mushy growth. If it's totally a soggy mess, I'm afraid it's a loss.

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 3:32

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Sorry, haven't figured out how to post multiple pictures

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Third pic

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

To post multiple pics, you upload them to a photo-hosting site, such as photobucket or flickr.
    Then you paste the multiple pic codes in this message box.

Josh

• Jademan2012
    11 years ago

Here's a site in Canada.
    http://www.truecc.50webs.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas cactus cuttings

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Wonderful, Laura!
    She is a monster, but looks so healthy. You're taking good care of her.

Gail

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

She has to be trimmed to be more manageable. I'll definitely have lots of cuttings in the spring.

• lunaticdeadhead
    9 years ago

TiI have cc cacti cuttings.. red ...anyone wanna swap
    Email me :)