Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
opuntia strobiliformis not looking great

Posted by robinpla 10b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 17:11

I have had this opuntia strobiliformis for a few years. It's been growing great, but never really looks great. The new segments are green and nice but then over time it starts getting dark and flaky and unsightly. It has been growing in full Southern California sun. According to some websites it requires full sun. But could it be too much? Or what's the secret to a good looking opuntia strobiliformis?

Your helps appreciated!
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: opuntia strobiliformis not looking great

Robin,

They're getting cooked (it may be the result of underpotting) - repot it into fresh soil, kind of deepish, or put it in the ground. It's a fine plant for sure, and often classified as a Tephrocactus.

o

Thanks. It might be slightly underpotted. It's on my list to be repotted so, I know what I will do tomorrow :) I will reduce the sun exposure too to see if I can get this to look beautiful. Thanks again.

o

Robin,

It's a full-sun plant, even in AZ. It just needs sufficient resources to combat the day. Anything I can do to promote Tephrocactus (pronounced 'Jethrocactus', oddly enough) you can count me in for.

o

I broke off all the segments and planted the un-scorched ones in a bigger and deeper pot. And of course I planted the ugly ones in a new pot for baby making :) They are back in full sun, but I might give them some shade in the middle of summer.

Thank for your help,
Robin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here