Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mateopava

Agave americana pot culture

mateopava
10 years ago

I have been thinking of growing one of these on my patio in a pot. They get far too large for my patio, and I do not wish to grow something that I will eventually be forced to find a new home.
Is it possible to restrict growth, perhaps by keeping it root bound, so that it will not exceed 3 feet in diameter?
Some of the research I have done indicates pot busting roots, so perhaps it is not possible to keep root bound for long.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had success keeping these small for the life of the plant.
Thanks in advance.

Matt

Comments (36)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I have one in a pot, and I really don't think they can be dwarfed effectively - by which I mean, root-pruning will only work for a while, and then the plant's vitality and looks will begin to suffer. I'm about to give mine to a friend who has a nice property.

Josh

• chadec
    10 years ago

Yuccado nursery sells protoamericanas that are much smaller and hardier. Will do fine in a pot.

• nil13
    10 years ago

keep an americana to 3 feet? bahahahahahaha!

pick a different agave.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

What these guys said, pick a different Agave. Almost any Agave is a better choice than a potted A. americana.

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Already have many of the species that stay 2 feet or less. Was wondering about the possibility of root pruning, Greenman28.
    I've been looking at that protoamericana, chadec. I've heard it is easier to keep small in a pot.
    Are there any of the large Agaves that might be easy to keep small in a pot?

Thanks for the input.

Matt

10 years ago

No. You might try A. palmeri or A. chrysantha, though I would categorize them as mid-sized rather than large.

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I guess I pretty well knew the odds were against it. I've done quite a bit of research on the matter. Thought I would ask anyway. Time to switch to a different genus. Thanks again, GermanStar.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have had good luck with Agave Montana, A. montanna 'Baccarat'. Agave colorata, Agave parryi.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

The A. americana medio-picta alba version stays at about 3', even in the ground. It's also prettier than plain A. americana.

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome, I'll take a look at all of your suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Matt

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

I have found that this plant does tend to keep smaller when put in a small pot... eventually it tends to decline a bit.. .but I have not had one literally break a pot (though I suspect that will eventually happen), even after being in the same pot for 10 years. This is an Agave americana striata that has been in that pot for 5 years (and this was 4 years ago)... I just took it out of pot this year. Not an ounce of soil left in pot... just a pot-shaped ball of roots.

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice one lzrddr, It is a beauty. What diameter did that Agave attain by the time you removed it from that pot?

Matt

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

you're looking at it... Just got a bunch of suckers, but the main plant looked just about like that

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

I am getting an A. attenuata pup this coming week. I'd like to know if I can start it off in a large planter which was large enough to hold an adult aloe vera.

The aloe I had died on me. It was the living room facing a western window and was thriving. Suddenly, it contracted some nasty mold which resulted in my having to throw it away. The soil was really damp and colored with some sort of yellow mold. I suspect my Michael was surreptitiously putting water in the pot, an act he swears he didn't do.

In any case, I cleaned up the pot this morning with mild dish soap and bleach just in case I can use it for my new plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pup being purchased from Ebay

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Sharon,

Likely not, as the rootball of the pup sounds like it will be dwarfed by the pot.

9 years ago

And that's a differently wonderful plant, Geoff.

This thing has gotten only larger. I've removed some pups and it still looks large.
    {{gwi:524293}}

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Hi cactusmcharris,

Then I will go with a much smaller planter then. Thanks. :-)

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Hi cactusmcharris,

Then I will go with a much smaller planter then. Thanks. :-)

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for an agave plant to produce pups? I suspect it varies from variety to variety. I presently have an agave Americana, and I am expecting the delivery of an agave attentuata pup on Monday.

9 years ago

Neither takes all that long, but the variables in the equation preclude me from giving you an exact date. OK, OK, 74 days from now.

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

@cactusmcharris: LOL! The reason I ask is I've heard agaves are slow growing, so I wondered whether it'd take years for it to produce pups. :-)

9 years ago

Sharon,

Given where you are, not likely. Where I am, I've learned that plants taken from Arizona/California often take a year to adjust to these northern latitudes.

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Catusmcharris,

Thanks! My agave has arrived at the post office here in Houston. I can't wait for its delivery. :-)

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

My new agave (agave attenuata) has arrived! It's a little worse for wear traveling from CA via USPS to Houston, TX but it's a healthy pup. Quite happy. :-)

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Here's another picture. :-)

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

In keeping with the subject of the thread here, a picture of my agave Americana.

9 years ago

Sharon,

Far be it from me to tell you your growing conditions, but that soil looks too peaty for humid Houston. I'd cut it with some pumice / perlite (about 50% ratio is recommended).

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

CactusMcHarris,

It's soil especially designed for cactus and other plants that require fast-draining soil. I suppose adding pumic/perlite wouldn't hurt, especially with the summer heat we'll soon be getting. Thanks.

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Btw, I had just watered the agave after potting it. But if the store-brought cactus mix is a product people routinely doctor, I certainly can do that and add in some perlite/pumice.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Mateopava, on a new note you could place it in a pot for perhaps a shorter time period, Sometimes I have to remind myself, hey no one said I was going to leave it there F O R E V E R... Kinda like paint, I say hey! It's just paint I can always repaint it :)

Change it up, I've been known to move my plants @ like furniture.

Greg

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's safe for the plant if its spines are clipped?

9 years ago

Sharon,

It won't kill the plant, but it will pile on the ugly, IMO. You wouldn't want it aesthetically displeasing, I'd also venture.

9 years ago

^ Plus 1.

Either plant it outside, or give it to someone who can. There are plenty of fine Agaves far more suited to container culture than what appears to be A. salmiana.

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

Cactus McHarris: Well, if it is going to make the plant ugly, then I will leave it be.

@GermanStar: The plant is still a baby; I purchased at it Lowe's which sold it as agave Americana. Eventually the plant will have to be planted outdoors, but since it's a slow-growing plant it will be some time before that's necessary. In the meantime, we enjoy its presence in our living room.

9 years ago

Unless that is a lighting trick, A. americana does not have smooth, shiny leaves, A. salmiana (which can grow even larger) does. I have an A. americana that went from small pup to 5' tall in three years. They grow like weeds. In any case, enjoy your plant.

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

No, my plant has a decidedly matte surface that is outlined by thorns on either side of the leaves with spikes at the end. When the time comes to move it, I will either plant it outside contingent on the landlord's blessings or give it to someone who can.