Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave americana pot culture

Posted by mateopava 8a El Paso, Tx (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 17:17

I have been thinking of growing one of these on my patio in a pot. They get far too large for my patio, and I do not wish to grow something that I will eventually be forced to find a new home.
Is it possible to restrict growth, perhaps by keeping it root bound, so that it will not exceed 3 feet in diameter?
Some of the research I have done indicates pot busting roots, so perhaps it is not possible to keep root bound for long.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had success keeping these small for the life of the plant.
Thanks in advance.

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave americana pot culture

I have one in a pot, and I really don't think they can be dwarfed effectively - by which I mean, root-pruning will only work for a while, and then the plant's vitality and looks will begin to suffer. I'm about to give mine to a friend who has a nice property.

Josh

o

Yuccado nursery sells protoamericanas that are much smaller and hardier. Will do fine in a pot.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 20:58

keep an americana to 3 feet? bahahahahahaha!

pick a different agave.

o

What these guys said, pick a different Agave. Almost any Agave is a better choice than a potted A. americana.

o

Already have many of the species that stay 2 feet or less. Was wondering about the possibility of root pruning, Greenman28.
I've been looking at that protoamericana, chadec. I've heard it is easier to keep small in a pot.
Are there any of the large Agaves that might be easy to keep small in a pot?

Thanks for the input.

Matt

o

No. You might try A. palmeri or A. chrysantha, though I would categorize them as mid-sized rather than large.

o

Yeah, I guess I pretty well knew the odds were against it. I've done quite a bit of research on the matter. Thought I would ask anyway. Time to switch to a different genus. Thanks again, GermanStar.

o

I have had good luck with Agave Montana, A. montanna 'Baccarat'. Agave colorata, Agave parryi.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 17:46

The A. americana medio-picta alba version stays at about 3', even in the ground. It's also prettier than plain A. americana.

o

Awesome, I'll take a look at all of your suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Matt

o

I have found that this plant does tend to keep smaller when put in a small pot... eventually it tends to decline a bit.. .but I have not had one literally break a pot (though I suspect that will eventually happen), even after being in the same pot for 10 years. This is an Agave americana striata that has been in that pot for 5 years (and this was 4 years ago)... I just took it out of pot this year. Not an ounce of soil left in pot... just a pot-shaped ball of roots.

o

Nice one lzrddr, It is a beauty. What diameter did that Agave attain by the time you removed it from that pot?

Matt

o

you're looking at it... Just got a bunch of suckers, but the main plant looked just about like that

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here