Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

December flowers

Lars
9 years ago

This plant (at the bottom) started blooming a few days ago, and I'm thinking I might want to put it on a table for the hummingbirds, but I don't want it to fall off like some other succulents have that started blooming and became top heavy. When they get to a certain size, I plant them in the front yard, and I have plenty of room left there, since we have removed some old plants that we did not especially like.

I need to do something with the dragon fruit plant in the background. I might transfer it to a wine barrel planter, but I do not want to put it into the ground because of our poor soil, and I also want to be able to elevate it. At this point I need to get more support for the limbs, however. I've had it for several years and it still has never bloomed.

Lars

P.S. Notice that I have a decent supply of Habaneros and other chilies!

Comments (6)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

The hummers would love a Cotlyedon's flowers. It's a great plant which would grow well in the ground there, too, just like everything else in the picture, succulent-wise.

About your Dragon (Hylocereus undatus) - put it in a bottomless box / barrel and watch it take off. It doesn't mind poor soil, as long as it has drainage (which will be excellent since it's elevated). It will take over that hedge in less than five years if not stringently controlled .

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Lots of color there Lars, and the succulent's flower heads are packed.
    I wonder if the orange & red peppers attract hummers - just to check out the color? Or do they know they are not flowers???
    (Years ago, my daughter had fiery red colored hair. While on camping trip, she was 'bombarded' by hummers...)

Rina

• Lars
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the idea about putting the Hylocereus undatus in a bottomless pot. That way I can give it some better soil and keep it raised a bit. Unfortunately the soil in my back yard does NOT drain well, and a lot of plants drown unless I keep them in pots.

I have a Madagascar palm in the ground in the front yard - there is a pineapple plant behind the one in the pot, and in the distance background is a propeller plant, which we also have in the ground in the back yard, as it tends to get quite large.

I have to assume that red attracts hummers, since the feeders are always red. However, they like a lot of my purple bromeliad flowers as well. My brother has red hair, but not as bright a red as when he was younger, and my sister also has red hair. I don't have red hair (fortunately), but I had to dodge some of the hummers when they are attacking each other. They seem oblivious to me. They do not seem to go to the peppers because they are too low, which is why I was going to put the flowering plant higher up.

Thanks for identifying the Cotlyedon - I wasn't sure what it was because the name I wrote down for it on the plastic ID marker washed top. I'm going to go back to using pencil instead of Sharpie (not sure what that is called in Canada, although I know it is something else).

Lars

9 years ago

Lars,

We have Sharpies up here, too - they're used to mark the addresses on our igloos (j/k).

Hummers go after yellow and red, IIRC, first, then other colours.

So you have one of those yards? What about mounding / raised beds? If you have the room, and as you've no doubt learned from observing the plants in the front yard, they do so much better in the ground.

The Cotyledon's another plant which can go native there - its growth cycle is virtually non-stop, and even in the hot summer if supplemental water's given it will grow. Hummers like it too, although its flowers are a bit too low for their liking.

• Lars
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was told Sharpies were called something else in Canada! Sorry!! I love BC but haven't been further inland than the Thompson River, to go whitewater rafting.

We are slowing putting succulents in the front yard - some we are finding grow quickly and some more slowly. Here is a photo of a flapjack plant that bloomed last December (since this is about December flowers). I thought it would die after blooming, but it has put out side shoots. My brother cut off the flower stalk after a while and did not wait for that to make shoots, but we have flapjack plants in other parts of the yard anyway. The agave behind the flapjack has a flower stalk right now, and it is beginning to put out some side shoots for the flowers. I do not know what will happen with that plant after it finishes blooming, but it is in the way of a cowhorn cactus that I to be able to see better.

The flapjack flowers were pretty boring, and so I never posted a photo of it before.

Lars

9 years ago

Lars,

I'm sure that's true in Quebec (Le Sharpy) but not here. The city I live in is at the confluence of the Thompson and the North Thompson.

Almost all Agaves die after flowering, but just the flowering head - often there are pups growing from the plant or the flowering stalk (which will last for months).