Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldstumpy1

female plants

Sorting thru pictures and realized they must be female
seams they all had their tips painted red for the holidays.
Any one else with pictures
{{gwi:2126554}}
{{gwi:2126555}}
{{gwi:2126556}}
{{gwi:2126557}}
{{gwi:2126558}}{{gwi:2126559}}
{{gwi:2126560}}

Richard

Comments (21)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Richard

Very nice (...how do you manage to get such colorful & healthy plants in your location...)

All I have colored is this Haworthia coarcata; one stays green.
    Rina

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Rina
    I'm not really sure why some plants seam to explode in my environment and some seam to sit for years. to be honest some of those pictures are a few months old, IM just bored out of my mind and was trying to get people to post more pictures.

Richard

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

These are all growing under lights for the winter and will return outdoors comes warmer weather. I took these pictures today.

{{gwi:2126561}}
    {{gwi:2126562}}
    {{gwi:2126563}}
    {{gwi:2126564}}
    {{gwi:2126565}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Howard
    that's what I'm talking about.
    the lights seem to be having the desired effect. cant wait till spring.

Richard

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Howard
    Beautiful colors!

You guys must have some 'super lights'. I have lights too & don't get that kind of color.
    E. Perle von Nurnberg is keeping it's color so far (it's just a bit darker, sorry for not-so-good photo).

Rina

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I'm cheating, since most of my plants are PIG. But my front island is getting quite colorful this year!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

My jades have their lipstick on as well as a few other plants, but y'all have those covered.

My favorite plant in the ground is Graptosedum 'California Sunset.' It is really brilliant in the winter on the south side of the house.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Aloe capitata
    {{gwi:2126566}}
    Aloe capitata
    {{gwi:2126567}}

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The way to check is to smell the red parts to see if there is an odor of nail polish.

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Here's my Aloe Christmas Carol. I have it in my sunny kitchen window. It really needs the sun to keep it's color.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Gail, that is ONE impressive Aloe. TFS

Richard, care to attach some names to your first 2 pics????

Howard

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 15:41

Original Author
    9 years ago

Howard
    I would if I could but I have trouble identifying them with two monitors side by side, it must be old age, the first one is one of four I have, one is all green others have red tips.
    the other one I asked a couple of weeks ago and got no responses.
    Bmock that Aloe Christmas Carol is lovely.
    hoovb and Crenda you have an unfair advantage
    someday when I get old and grey I'll retire and move where I can grow in the ground. wait a minute I am old and grey.

Richard

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL EVERYONE!!! Howard, you're gonna have to give me some advice on lighting here in our DARK, DARK state! Keep the pics coming everyone! I'll have to post some when I get home. ðÂÂÂ

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I do have a NOID (probably an Echeveria agavoides) that has her lipstick on!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Sorry LilBit, no magical words of wisdom. My basement light project is still a work in progress. So far things have been good.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Beautiful pics everyone, a real feast for the eyes! It really brightens up one of the dullest and dreariest days this year :) Thanks for sharing all of you.

Gill UK

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I cannot seem to focus in on the flowers, but a few of my painted ladies are blooming!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I'm easily impressed by plants, and frequently surprised. So when I noticed that my Aloe 'Blue Elf' is purple (actually more purple that the picture shows) I just had to share. This is the first time I have seen it so colorful.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Crenda, do you have a more "scientific" name for "Painted Lady"? I know Echeveria, but ????? The usual suspect for this common name is E.derenbergii but that isn't yours.

Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Howard
    you might want to check out http://www.plantegrassefrontignan.fr
    not sure how add a link

RICHARD

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Gee, Howard - its a NOID and I just call them my painted ladies because they seem to keep the red color all year long, seeing how they don't need to come in for the winter. I didn't really think about this name actually being used for a cultivar.

It is probably an Echeveria, or possibly an E. agavoides. It's a pretty and hardy plant. It grows flatter PIG than it does in the pots for some reason. Sorry for the confusion.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting