Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lrn2gro

night and day time temps

lrn2gro
11 years ago

So I am not really sure if I should be posting this here, so if not please direct me to where I should...Ok so I am in college and am starting a plant collection of my own. I have a few cacti, bromeliads, etc. I live in michigan and the house temp is at usually 55 during the day and at night it gets warmer because we turn the hear on then. My room gets especially warm because it is small. I know most plant, especially cacti, would rather have cool nights and warm days, but they are in fact getting the opposite. Is this going to be an issue for my plants? Also, since it is winter, I know they should be getting shorter days and longer nights, but since I am up late with the lights on in my room they may not be getting the night length that they need. What should I do?

Comments (2)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I really do not know how to answer if they will be effected negatively by the temp reversal... Could one reset their internal clock by getting black out curtains and making the light situation reversed also. But then one would be wedded to the late night.. I say this more as a rhetorical question than as a recommendation of a thing that one should do. The idea is to make the day night . But I am usually one who likes less hassle the better. I have always pict plants that fit with my life styl and not the reverse.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

No idea either on how to answer if would effect them for better or worse but another consideration is. It's not so much the amount of lighting time your cacti get right now it's also the intensity behind the light.

I tend to think it would be very difficult to get ideal " wake up cacti "lighting in a small sized room this time of the year. I would think the bulb assisted lighting in a small room for extended amount of time may not have an effect if cati are already resting.

Using your mentioned room hi to low temp as a reference the same principals may also be a factor for heat changes when considering it gets much hotter than 70 degrees in seasonal growing of cacti and knowing most cacti can easily tolerate very hi to low temp changes that can sometimes equal more than 20 degrees in a 24 hour time does propose a tougher question for any realistic answer

If cati where people I would also agree that we cant adjust any internal clock on any one or any plant by understanding some people can sleep as long as needed if tired enough regardless of the amount of dark or light or time of day people can also remain awake if wanting to regardless if dark or light.

Again as cacti aren't people I do know if we as people when awake dont provide a cati enough bright and direct sun light with reasonable heat during it's awake (or growing) times we can introduce other growing problems that MIGHT be resolved if growing problems where to develop.

On a later note as none of us know what kind of cacti your asking about I add Thank-You for adding edit features GW

This post was edited by mrlike2u on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 0:01