Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Astrophytum myriostigma

birdsnblooms
10 years ago

Hello,

I was given 3/three, un-rooted Astrophytum myriostigmas.

I Googled rooting instructions, but the few sites w/info discussed grafting.

Is grafting the only method to root Astrophytum?

Thanks, Toni

Comments (5)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Grafting doesn't "grow" roots on the plant.
    The stock roots and supplies nutrients to the graft. When you say, "un-rooted", do you infer the base has no roots of any kind? You should be able to root them in a perlite-turface type of mix with some bottom heat. I'm sure others will have better instructions.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Biker, thanks.

Right, the plants are without any roots. Just smooth skin. They were purchased from China.

I have perlite and other soil-less mediums, but no turface.

Thanks for the help.. I didn't think about bottom heat. Heat might speed up germination..Great! Toni

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

germination? You mean root production? Most cacti will form roots with warmth, and maybe a dinky tad of moisture.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

I been drooling over those online, the pic in the listing looks so cool, they look like little candies!
    How did the ones you received look, color-wise?

If I remember correctly, their instructions are to place in dry medium until you see roots emerge from the scab...that would be my advice too!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Sorry, it's taken long to reply. Been very busy.

lzrddr. Yes, I was talking about root production.

Grabme. Yep, Astrophytums resembles colorful candy or cupcakes.

I 'finally' snapped pics..

When Astro's first arrived, colors were very pronounced..deep orange, yellow and some green. In fact, the green part was barely noticeable.

This is what happened. I wrote the seller..he told me to let plants sit out about 2-weeks, then place in moist Vermiculite.
    He did not mention if bottoms, 'where roots grow,' should be inside or atop Vermiculite.

Anyway, I left all three in the box..opened lid, on the LR rug. Plants got little if any light.

Con: Colors faded quite a bit. Pro: Two out of three rooted without any help from me. :)
    Three days ago, I removed from box, placed upside-down on a table under a lamp.
    Yesterday, Saturday, the third rootless Astro grew a baby root.

I haven't yet sprinkled roots...don't know if I should.
    Actually, I'm afraid. :)

Pics of Astrophytums.

Baby Roots that formed.

I snapped pictures before the third Astro produced a tiny root.

Now I must figure, 1. pot size--height and diameter. 2. Proper watering..In other words, should they be watered directly in medium, or bottom watering. 3. Room temp.

Wish I'd have taken a pic when they first arrived; colors were beautiful.
    Hoping, once summer is here, lol, Astro's will be placed outdoors in direct sun. Praying colors return.

Thanks All, Toni