Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buried Lithop?

Posted by Suckerlunt26 none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 18:01

I'm a Lithop beginner and mine looks like this.

When I see people's Lithop garden, most of the plant is underground and I see only the top part.

Mine split and currently has 4 leaves. Am I supposes to bury it?

Please help this clueless beginner. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buried Lithop?

Welcome to the forum. It looks more like a Pleiospilos but others will give better advice.

o

I concur with bikerdoc. It is in the lit hops family and be aware that it should start to "Absorb" the outer leaves slowly. Your plant is not distressed. It SHOULD do this to remain a healthy plant so be stingy with the water so the plant will take from the leaf. Otherwise if it grows another set, you will most likely get rot.

o

Thank you for your prompt posts.

Is my plant different from this photo? Can I still repot and bury it so only the top part shows?

Or I shouldn't do anything right now? The plant looks happy and healthy:)

o

It is a different plant. DO NOT burry it..

o

Ah good thing I asked!

I will not bury them and take care of them as they are.

o

Yes, yours are Pleiospilos nelii...and beautiful specimens, looking very-well cared for, I'd say! The other buried plant is a Lithops (Living Stones). The purple one is 'Royal Flush'.

Here are a couple of mine (think you can see a leaf being re-sorbed as new leaves grow). Click for larger views:

photo IMG_0614PleiospilosRoyalFlushwbloom_zpsd7e71b72.jpg
 photo IMG_7806Pleiospilosnelii_zpsdb678371.jpg

This post was edited by rosemariero on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 14:47

o

Thank you for your advice, everyone!

These guys are adorable!

o

Hi how often do you guys water your lithops or Pleiospilos nelii?

o

I read "Don't water them". So I'm not watering them, at least during winter when the newly forming leaves are absorbing the moisture from the old leaves.

During summer, maybe once a month?

Help anyone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lithops 101

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here