Euphorbia Obesa blooms

Posted by oldstumpy1 Long Island NY (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 18:03

I wasn't expecting this

Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euphorbia Obesa blooms

Oh yea! Blooms on an obesa are always fun. Congrats, Richard! Male cyathia, female, or both?

o

Is that all the bigger they get? I often notice mine getting ready to bloom, but it seems they fall off before they get big. Maybe mine is normal, and I just need to take a closer look the next time.

o

Yes, that is about as big as they get and yes, it is a female flower... oops, cyathium (Didn't want RoRo to correct me,LOL) I do have some E. obesa that will produce both male and female on the same plant. For the most part, as I know it, they are usually dioecious. Not all member of this family have tiny flowers.

photo DSC_Euphobesa_zpsa3e3dff0.jpg

photo DSC_Euphmillotii_zpsf0e01b68.jpg

photo DSC_Euphsuz_marn_zps6aaa9ddd.jpg

photo DSC_Monadeniummag_zps634c3d5d.jpg

photo DSC_Euphleuco_zps3247c45d.jpg

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 12:55

o

I like the way the plant grows!! Nice
kathi

o

Thanks for the replies.
I've been pretty busy and just got around to downloading a number of photos and was really surprised with the size of the bloom on such a large cactus.it is not a plant that I've paid much attention to until it started to swell. Howard how do you tell if its female its not wearing earrings

Richard

o

These are female Euhorbia obesa flowers

o

Here is even a better shot

o

I only have one photo of a male and the cyathea are too young to really tell

o

Funny, Richard. As Geoff has demonstrated very well, the female will have three very distinct style on the end of which are located bifurcated stigma, while the numerous male anthers are yellow fuzzy powdery looking. The attached picture is not E. obesa but the male flowers are very similar. In the picture, the early anthers are spherical in shape and become powdery (lower left). If you happen to have both male and female and you attempt to pollinate, you'll know you have been successful when the ovary swells as is demonstrated in my picture of the E. millotii flower. You will have to cover the developing pods with something to collect the seed as they will explode when ripe sending seed everywhere but where you want them!

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 12:16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here