Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thanksgiving or Christmas cactus?

Posted by ltran54 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 18:17

I bought 4 tiny pots from Lowes about 3 Christmas ago and put them in this pot. They were very tight and now in full bloom. The purple color is not so much ready but white, peach and pink are ready.

Please tell me this TC or CC?

I don't go outside as much in cold weather, but yesterday I went to check on it, wow, they were drooping, so I brought it inside and these pictures taten this morning.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thanksgiving or Christmas cactus?

Those are Thanksgiving Cacti. Below is a photo of TC leaves versus CC leaves (this is not my photo, I found it online). On the left are TC leaves, on the right, are CC leaves. Hope this helps!

Planto

o

Thank you Planto, if they are TC, then it is too late for them to bloom? Thanksgiving is long gone.
Marie

o

• Posted by ssk22 5/ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 19:30

WOW Marie,
You can grow thanksgiving cactus as well as you do desert rose plants. Beautiful plants.
Thanks for sharing. I love them.
Sharon

o

Itran,
I am by no means an expert on holiday cacti, but I don't believe it's too late (with that said, I'm hoping someone else with more knowledge on this question will chime in).

If I'm not mistaken, my MIL's bloomed later than Thanksgiving last year and I think she has one right now that's forming buds (they haven't opened yet).

I hope this helps.

Planto

o

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that most of the common cultivars were selected hybrids, selected for flowering traits, not natural plants. So do the terms TC and CC mean all that much for these plants, other than they flower heavily and easily during the short days?

o

Noki,
Hmm, that would make sense as to why my MILs TC has buds on it right now. I don't have any experience with making them re-bloom.

Planto

o

TC and CC will bloom for quite a long window of time.

TC tend to bloom sooner, which is why they're marketed incorrectly as Christmas Cactus....
they have blooms before Christmas, and they sell better when in bloom. Christmas Cactus tends
to bloom just a bit later, right about Christmas.

TC is Schlumbergera truncata.

CC is Schlumbergera x buckleyi, an old hybrid.

Read this link to understand the clear differences:
RECOGNITION and CULTURE
of the HOLIDAY CACTI

Josh

o

• Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 17:50

http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

o

Thanksgiving cactus- the pointy leaf edges are the tell. Bloom depends on hours of darkness, which can be artificially controlled. Growers do this with poinsettias too.

Here is a link that might be useful: holiday cactus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here