Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathi_mdgd

Pictures,i've got pictures,xmas cactus etc

kathi_mdgd
9 years ago

Been awhile since i posted pictures,but here you go for your viewing pleasures are some:

xmas cactus

{{gwi:2126729}}

{{gwi:2126730}}

{{gwi:2126731}}

{{gwi:2126732}}

{{gwi:2126733}}

{{gwi:2126734}}

{{gwi:2126735}}

{{gwi:2126736}}

{{gwi:2126737}}

{{gwi:2126738}}

{{gwi:2126739}}

{{gwi:2126740}}

{{gwi:2126741}}

{{gwi:2126742}}

{{gwi:2126743}}

Check out these seed pods!

Last blooms of the season

Better picture of seed pods,this is for you Stush/Stan

Enjoy the view
Kathi

Comments (11)

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    9 years ago

HI Kathi
    wow those are gorgeous.
    enjoyed very much.

Richard

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful plants!

Love that Christmas Cactus! How old is it?

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Love the Christmas cactus,
    i have a few smaller ones, waiting for some buds.

sharon

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks folks. Amelia,I'm not sure how old that Xmas cactus is,I've had it for many years,probably more than 20.It's been thru,a few falls,in fact when I went around the other day to check it,it was laying on the ground.We get critters from the canyon quite often like possums,preclinical grey wolves plus the neighborhood cats,so I do'd know what knocked it over

Also our recent rains have really helped it,last year I don't think it had 6 flowers on it.
    Kathi

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Beautiful Christmas Cactus, Kathi!

After seeing your plant on elevated on the table, I was inspired. I'd been pondering a plant stand (which I am really going to need) to get my TC up and off the table. So I used a pedestal cake plate! Wish I had thought of that earlier.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Kathi,
    I am jealous of you. My Stapela Orbea variegata is three years old and never bloomed. The other Stapela, you know what color. Did you pollinate it or flees? When the seed pod opens, it will have that fluffy stuff similar to dandelions'. Seeds should be good for planting. Are you going to plant them?
    Stush
    PS Happy Holidays and a Marry Christmas to all.

9 years ago

Kathi,
    I rechecked your past post and found the Stapelia in question. It was the one I sent you. It passed up the mother plant I got. Great growing on your part. My Stapelia Gigantea didn't bloom this year as well. Now going on 3 years with out a bloom. Before it used to bloom every year. Never got seeds yet from any of mine. Don't know how to pollinate it. Special way to do it. Thanks for the pictures.
    Stush

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stush,yes that one with the seed pods is one of the ones i got from you.I don't do anything special to it.

however the one i got from you called euphorbia lactea,croked,i kept hoping it would come back,but it was not to be.The other that says it's a stapelia gigantea,is finally getting it's first off shoot,which is good as i thought that was a goner as well.

I lost the name of that one with the seed pods,it got knocked over early on and when dh picked it up he didn't pick up the name tag for it.Oh and i didn't pollinate it myself,that's all mother natures work.
    I hadn't planned to plant all the seeds from it,maybe just a couple to see what and how long it will take from seed to plant.

Would you like me to send you one of the pods,if so,i need you to tell me when to cut them off,or do i just put a paper bag over them til they drop off?? Anyone know??

By the way the one with the pods bloomed for several months this year,every couple days there was a new bloom.Same with one of my echinopsis ,i thought that thing would never quit blooming this year..

Oh and for those of you that are "soil snobs"No offense meant,LOL i don't use those self mixed concoctions you all do,i use whatever i have on hand and add a little pearlite,i measure nothing.just throw it all in a bucket,mix it up and plant whatever i'm planting.

I always tell my friends
    i follow Mother Nature guidelines!!!! Works for me and as long as it does,i won't change.

Thanks to you all for the compliments,oh and by the way the post from last night were from my kindle,so Camelia i do know that is your name and not amelia.The preclinical grey wolf was supposed to be calif.grey wolf.I hate auto correct!!!
    Kathi

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Lovely plants you have there! Your climate sure helps...We in the arctic regions have to make do with indoor succulents. I have to say I love your term, 'soil snobs'. I agree with your philosophy on that one. I have not the time, money or inclination to make my own.

Christopher

9 years ago

Kathi,
    I would love one of the seed pods. As soon as they turn a dead brown it is ok to cut off. If left alone, the pod would split down the center and the seeds would fly away on the wind. They have those dandelion type wings. Most all Asclepiad seed is alike. Just like those wild Butterfly weeds.
    Stush

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK Stush,i'll keep a close eye on it,and when it's ready i'll let you know.
    Thanks Chris,glad i'm not the only one.
    Kathi

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm