Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

At the risk...

TT, zone 5b MA
11 years ago

of sounding all dopey and philosophical...how does nature pull off this kind of sculptural symmetry?

And, while I am back on my agave kick...would someone be so kind as to offer an ID of this little guy?

Thanks!

Tom

Comments (22)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Marvels of creation.

That first pic is a work of art.

Thanks for posting them all.

tj

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I can't help with the ID....

But the concept of Fibonacci's Sequence (Dynamic symmetry of growth, based on the Golden Section)
    goes a long way to describing the patterns which Nature manifests.

Josh

• sf_rhino
    11 years ago

Here is a link to a youtube video that does a good (entertaining) job explaining how plant spirals form based on number sets approaching phi, as Josh mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doodling in Math

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a great video! Thanks!

T

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

I can't believe someone else knows about Fibonacci's number! WOW!!!!! I always think of the Nautilus crustacean.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Fibonacci's Sequence and cactus has long been a fascination with me, too. Sorry I can't ID it, Tom, other than guess A vershaffeltii (sp?), highly suspiciously.

What's the ID of the first one? It's so nice a plant. Like the other two, too.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for trying on the ID, Jeff. You may be right... I have to search my memory banks for what I bought it as.

The first plant is A. Kissho kan...

T

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for trying on the ID, Jeff. You may be right... I have to search my memory banks for what I bought it as.

The first plant is A. Kissho kan...

(Not really sure why this posted twice...did it from my mobile device...sorry for the SPAM.)

T

This post was edited by tom_termine on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 13:53

11 years ago

T,

I don't feel SPAMmed in the slightest, sir. That's Kisshokan, eh? Mine is much smaller (I got it last year from Starr Nursery) it's fairly different (although to be perfectly honest the first thing I thought of was 'That's an exotic-looking one that's like 'Kk'...'). What a gorgeous plant, sez me. Was that rain and the picture taken in the summer?

Not having a smart phone-j

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    11 years ago

Are the leaves of #3 rough to the touch or silky smooth?

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Jeff - Actually, took the picture on 12/12/12. Gave it a drink before I took the shot.

@GS - The leaves are not exactly smooth...they have a bit of rough texture to them.

Thanks.

Tom

11 years ago

A. 'Confederate Rose' has very rough-textured leaves, almost like sandpaper, so your guy may be yet another form of A. isthmensis; some have very smooth leaves like A. 'Kissho Kan', while others, like A. verschaffeltii (invalid name for another A. isthmensis form) can feel a little more textured.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi -

I just did a little research (it is so cool that Aridlands retains your orders on their site). When I purchased this plant, it was offered as Agave potatorum c.v. 'kichiokan'.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave potatorum c.v. kichiokan

11 years ago

There you go -- and put your money on A. ithsmensis. Focus on the 'Kichiokan' aspect of the Arid Lands name, and toss A. potatorum into the dung heap. Look up A. 'Kichiokan' in Greg's book for more info, where he suggests floral characteristics that bridge A. isthmensis and A. pygmae (invalid nomen for A. seemanniana).

11 years ago

Isn't that a misspelling of 'Kichijokan'? I don't think there's still another one with a name nearly identical, right?

Satsu satsu no matsu Jeff

11 years ago

Shhhhhhh! Close enough. æ=)

All these boutique Agave names look the same from here.

This post was edited by GermanStar on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 9:07

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

I think this is a great topic, T. I find my self marveling at the symmetry and design of plants. In my backyard we get shamelessly dopey and philosophical.
    The evolution of plants (and all life) is endlessly fascinating for me. Staring at one of my beauties and trying to imagine how and why it came to be that way, well I could do that all day.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Tom, those are beauties!

Are those in your greenhouse still? I love them. What kind of light are they getting? They seem very happy.

Mike

• chadec
    11 years ago

Love #1. That might have to go on my short list.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike -

Greenhouse has been empty for a month or so now. These guys are in a south facing window inside the house at this point - they seem to like it there.

I don't think I can afford to heat the greenhouse and my sunroom (both electric heat). What do you have still in your greenie?

Tom

• paul_
    11 years ago

Lovely agaves, Tom!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh Tom, many plants.lol

Mostly orchids and tropicals...No succulents this time around. Some are upstairs in a very cool room but in a nice sunny window, and the rest under lights in the basement. Yeah, it can cost quite a bit when not covered by solar cover, but I figure it's the only thing I spend my money on for a few moths now that I sacrifice spending money some where else.

Your plants have just amazing colors Tom. Love them all.

Mike