Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How often can one bloom

Posted by boothbay 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 19:32

My Christmas cactus just finished blooming. I was wondering is there a set time for it to bloom again or do i have to wait till next Christmas? LOL seriously, under the right conditions can it bloom again and again, unlike an orchid that may bloom once a year or two. I keep it in a cool room of my house, north exposure. I know if i leave it out on the porch and the temp go down to 50 degrees i can get blooms...but now its colder than that, so the cool room is next best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How often can one bloom

I am pretty sure it blooms once a year .

o

Sometimes you'll get a couple blooms.....

My Christmas Cactus is opening its first blooms as I type this.....perfect Christmas timing, every year.

My CC blooms through January, sometimes longer.

Josh

o

It only makes sense that after a rest period, and you fool the plant that it is that time of year to blossom. Temperature and light cycles could trick the plant into a false blooming session but it comes with a consequence. It will weaken the plant. But let us know what happens.

o

I have a friend who had a pair of CCs bloom 2-3 times a year. She joked to me that these plants were perverts, must be having sex all the time to be blooming so often. She's in Connecticut, had them in the kitchen skylights, conditions must have been just right (I doubt she did much fertilizer).

Sometimes a plant just finds the right spot you know?

I do seem to recall other folks posting here about 2nd bloomings of CCs (or TCs).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here