Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Mammillaria

On a fall tour through a Greenhouse we saw several cactus listed as Mammillaria. They were short and covered with fuzzy hairs, some "hair was short, some longish". Since they are Cacti, I'm assuming that there will be sharp spines that develop or are hidden. Are there any of these fuzzy variety of Mammillaria cactus that are benign and don't develop spines? Do they always stay so low growing?.......Thank you for any information you care to give.....Maryl

Comments (11)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure they all have spines. Almost all cacti do. It's natures way of protecting them from animals eating them.

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

Mary, there are lots of pettable cacti, and one species of Mammillaria (M. plumosa) is as soft as lamb's wool. Some have short spines in the fuzz, and some have spines that you can pet in one direction only. The plant in the lower right is a mMammillaria with a central spine that points straight up, so you can run your hand gently up the body of it. The 3 mamms at right center of the pic show 3 different spiny types. One can't be handled bare handed, on can be handled by a child (the middle of the 3), and the other one needs a little care.

{{gwi:2126966}}

Some have very dense, very short spination and can be handled like you would a wire brush. This crested plant can be handled bare handed with only a little care.

{{gwi:567995}}

Another wire brush Mamm.

{{gwi:2126967}}

This is Mammillaria, soft as a baby's behind.

{{gwi:2126968}}

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. I'm dealing from memory, but the last Mam you posted is very similar to what I saw. It surprised me because it looked so soft. Do you know what type of Mam it is?.......I found out from handling a prickly cactus leaf once that not all painful spines can be readily seen, so that's why I asked......... I do have a variety of Cactus called Fuzzy Navel that puts out the most glorious flowers yet is spineless. It popped out a couple of pups last year that DID have spines (and were removed and disposed of), showing me once again the marvels of hybridization.......Again, thanks for the pictures. That bottom one in particular is right up my alley............Maryl
    Fuzzy Navel - Echinopsis
    {{gwi:2126969}}

• jenufa
    9 years ago

Dzitmoidonc: Thank you so much for those wonderful photos. Although I'm new to C&S, it hasn't taken long to discover a passion for mamms: the balls look so cute with their flower tiaras.

IâÂÂm also curious about the last one: I have a Mammillaria gracillis v. fragilis; the flowers look similar to yours but it has nasty spines and none of the white fluff; nothing soft about it. IâÂÂve been Googling Mammillaria gracilis but canâÂÂt find anything that looks at all like yours; do you know which one it is?

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

cactiguide.com shows all sorts of Mammillaria.

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Well I have a Mammillaria gracilis the spined are seasonal the fluffy mammilaria is plumosa

• jenufa
    9 years ago

Thanks Spikef22; that's the one. Definitely on the top of my very long wish list.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

M. Plumosa. Thanks for the information. I was hoping Dzitmoidonc, who posted so many nice pictures, could tell me if the last picture of the "Baby's Bottom" Mam has a varietal name. ...Thanks too for the online cactus guide. I wasn't familiar with it. I understand that Mammillaria Plumosa is also called the "feather" cactus. Looking closely at some of them the name is appropriate..........Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This spring while shopping at a rather mediocre nursery I stumbled onto this plant. I was thrilled. No spines and cute as a button so I bought it. Is this Mammillaria Plumosa?........Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I hope it flowers so I can get a firm idenity. That clump in the last picture of Dzits post seems fluffier then mine, but could be a maturity issue or, of course, a different cultivar/hybrid of M. Plumosa. Anyway I'm happy with what I have and appreciate the information on it Cactusmcharris. Maryl

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County