Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blushing Aloe Striata

Posted by central_cali369 USDA z9b/ Sunset z9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 19:51

I was taken aback today with the vibrant pinks and purples on my Aloe Striatas out front. It's been a gradual color change, but I hadn't quite paid much attention to it until now. Here are a few photos :)

Also, I didn't know Aloe Striata made pups! These all have small pups coming off of the sides. There's also a baby Aloe Hercules among the Striata with a tad bit of color.

Also Aloe Vanbalennii (spelling?)

And lastly, Aloe Microstigma

This one has a Bloom spike emerging in the center :)

Hope you enjoy :)

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blushing Aloe Striata

Some sweet aloes ya got there, Josh!

o

Oh my goodness, those colors! Lucky you that they have pups!

o

Beautiful!

o

Great looking plants and colours.

o

What kind of grass are you growing between them. It is a beautiful counter balance to the violets. Great job! It makes me salivate in anticipation.

My striatas are starting to change also. Not as nice as yours yet. I had to take them in to avoid some 23 F weather. Than I was too lazy to get them right back out. I know they say they can take some cold but after thae last two winters, I am a bit gun shy. I have them in pots now since I did loose the ones I had in the ground last year.

o

Thanks guys and gals. I love seeing them color up like this.

Wantonamara, The grass is Carex Testacea "Prarie Fire." It's very easy to propogate. All of the clumps here are first year starts from clumps i divided earlier in the year. They're green-yellow during the summer. Then, in winter, they light up with orange and red.

o

Nice Carex. Perfectly illustrates my feeling that people don't use ornamental grasses enough.
Oh yeah, nice aloes too.
Great pictures.
Do you know the name of the lime-green plant behind the aloe in picture 2? I have a big clump of that but I don't know what it is exactly. A crassula of some kind? I use a machete to cut it back every couple of years.

o

Here is an Aloe striata hybrid (with a bit of maculata in it I think) that had a really striking blush in fall (from the Huntington).

Photobucket

o

Deep root s, that's sedum praealtum I believe. Also called Mexican bush sedum.

Geoff, that aloe is spectacular! I have an aloe called ghost Aloe that I bought from daylilly hill nursery in San Diego. Its a maculata and striata hybrid but its not nearly as colorful as that one

o
sedum

I just double checked on the sedum and that's the name I have for that plant. It is a very fast grower and will go all year with no additional water but what out receives as rainfall. I use it throughout the yard to make hedges. Its the perfect substitute tothe traditional boxwood hedge

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here