Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Blushing Aloe Striata

Central_Cali369
12 years ago

I was taken aback today with the vibrant pinks and purples on my Aloe Striatas out front. It's been a gradual color change, but I hadn't quite paid much attention to it until now. Here are a few photos :)

Also, I didn't know Aloe Striata made pups! These all have small pups coming off of the sides. There's also a baby Aloe Hercules among the Striata with a tad bit of color.

{{gwi:744495}}
{{gwi:744498}}

Also Aloe Vanbalennii (spelling?)

{{gwi:744502}}

And lastly, Aloe Microstigma

{{gwi:744505}}
This one has a Bloom spike emerging in the center :)

{{gwi:744508}}

Hope you enjoy :)

Josh

Comments (10)

• paul_
    12 years ago

Some sweet aloes ya got there, Josh!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, those colors! Lucky you that they have pups!

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Great looking plants and colours.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

What kind of grass are you growing between them. It is a beautiful counter balance to the violets. Great job! It makes me salivate in anticipation.

My striatas are starting to change also. Not as nice as yours yet. I had to take them in to avoid some 23 F weather. Than I was too lazy to get them right back out. I know they say they can take some cold but after thae last two winters, I am a bit gun shy. I have them in pots now since I did loose the ones I had in the ground last year.

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys and gals. I love seeing them color up like this.

Wantonamara, The grass is Carex Testacea "Prarie Fire." It's very easy to propogate. All of the clumps here are first year starts from clumps i divided earlier in the year. They're green-yellow during the summer. Then, in winter, they light up with orange and red.

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

Nice Carex. Perfectly illustrates my feeling that people don't use ornamental grasses enough.
    Oh yeah, nice aloes too.
    Great pictures.
    Do you know the name of the lime-green plant behind the aloe in picture 2? I have a big clump of that but I don't know what it is exactly. A crassula of some kind? I use a machete to cut it back every couple of years.

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

Here is an Aloe striata hybrid (with a bit of maculata in it I think) that had a really striking blush in fall (from the Huntington).

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deep root s, that's sedum praealtum I believe. Also called Mexican bush sedum.

Geoff, that aloe is spectacular! I have an aloe called ghost Aloe that I bought from daylilly hill nursery in San Diego. Its a maculata and striata hybrid but its not nearly as colorful as that one

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just double checked on the sedum and that's the name I have for that plant. It is a very fast grower and will go all year with no additional water but what out receives as rainfall. I use it throughout the yard to make hedges. Its the perfect substitute tothe traditional boxwood hedge