Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xerophytenyc

Soil substrate comparisons

xerophyte NYC
16 years ago

First of all, I seem to have a little too much time on my hands! You'll see what I mean.

I decided to conduct a simple yet instructive experiment. I wanted to compare porosity and water retention of various substrates: Perlite, Turface MVP, coarse gravel, lava rock, peat based mix, garden soil, and 50-50 gravel and soil.

I used 3 equal volume plastic cups. One was calibrated with % values and filled with water. The other 2 were filled with substrate, and 1 of those had drainage holes.

The first thing done was to fill the non-draining cup with substrate to capacity with water. The remaining water is determined as a %. This tells us what % by volume is air, and so is a measure of substrate "porosity".

Second, the draining cup with substrate was also filled with water - whatever drained out was also collected and measured. This tells us how much water was retained by the substrate, "water capacity".

Finally, a ratio of "water capacity" to "porosity" was created, I call it the "saturation index". An index value of 100 means all available air space is filled with water when the substrate is saturated.

Let's look at the photos, they will help to make sense of it:

The column on the left shows the substrate filled to capacity with water, the adjacent cup shows how much water is left in the cup as a %.

The column on the right shows the substrate with a drainage hole, so the adjacent cup displays how much water was drained out, as a %.

Here is the data in table format:

Some discussion on the materials:

The "peat" is a bagged mix that consists mainly of slightly moistened peat with some composted bark. The other substrates were dry. The "soil" is from my garden, probably minimal organic component, on the clayey side, but otherwise more or less a typical loamy soil.

The lava rock is probably very similar to if not the same as pumice, only what I have is pretty coarse. Perlite is horticultural grade. Turface is a high-fired clay product. Coarse gravel is from the pet store. 50-50 is equal parts of the gravel and garden soil.

Observations

As expected, perlite, turface and lava rock have the most air space per volume. I was surprised though that the peat was almost as porous. This must be why it is marketed as a soil aerator, but it decomposes over time, unlike the other drainage materials. The gravel is slightly less porous because it is fine sized. Soil is the densest.

Another surprise, the turface retained more water than the peat mix! Peat and soil had the next highest water capacity. Gravel, perlite and lava rock had the least capacity for water retention, not surprising.

Saturation Index: soil is the worst...this means that when saturated with water, there is hardly any available air in the substrate. The 50-50 mix is 2nd worst. Turface also is pretty high, but considering it is so porous, there is still good aeration. Perlite, gravel and lava rock not surprisingly have the best ability to remain aerated.

Conclusions

I can't make any profound statements here because there are so many interactive factors when mixing these things in a pot that my head would explode if I even tried. Example, perlite is very porous but mixed with something like fine sand or soil, these spaces are then filled so you lose some of this effect. Although if you look at the 50-50 data, it is pretty much a straight average between the 2 separate parts.

Too much perlite, coarse gravel, or lava rock (pumice) reduces the ability of the mix to hold onto moisture so the mix would dry out quickly. Turface, however, is just as porous but simultaneously holds enough water to keep the mix from becoming too dry. Peat has decent properties but they don't last. Soil by itself is terrible, but mixed with perlite, lava rock or gravel would seem to provide similar results to using turface alone. Turface + soil may retain too much water.

A mix that contains somewhat equal amounts of A) turface, B) perlite, gravel or lava rock and C) loam or equivalent would seem to have good overall porosity, aeration, and some water holding capacity.

x

Comments (7)

• alenka
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is way cool. Would be interesting also to do the same measurement on old peat or peat-based mix. Say, if someone was repotting a plant from a year-old peat mix. Is anyone repotting from peat any time soon? I think I repotted my last peat-only plant only 2 weeks ago :(

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

Soil porosity values are well documented and can even be calculated from the various particle sizes in the soil. Published values (percent air space within the soil) range from about 40%-60%, usually very close to 50%. This holds all the way to pure sand and even larger solid materials, as shown by your gravel result. Your value of 30% is anomolously low, perhaps because there was a small amount of water already present, perhaps experimental error (since the water capacity was measured at 35%, physically impossible to be more than the porosity).

Published values for the water holding capacity are generally about 10% lower than the total porosity for mineral soils. The value of 35% for your soil is actually at the low end (again there may have been 5%-10% moisture already in the soil), with values up to 50% for heavy soils being quite common. Sand, and fine gravels, are much lower, around the 25% value you show for gravel.

They don't describe peat as "fluffy" for nothing ;) One of the problems with peat is the very large difference between the amount of water retained from a dynamic watering, and the maximum amount of water which can be soaked up, for example from standing in a saucer. This is what you referred to as wettability in another thread. Although peat retains air from a simple watering, it can become almost fully saturated from being allowed t soak up water. You can measure this by a third experiment where the cup is allowed to stand in water for a few hours.

I believe that the same thing applies to the calcined clays like Turface although I can't find any published experiments on this. It is certainly a valuable property in a soil because, as we discussed on the other thread, it will often reduce or eliminate a perched water table after a pot has been watered from above.

Perlite does not show this property because it is a closed cell granule. The air pockets within each particle are not open to the exterior in any way. This shows in the very low saturation number you found and is also apparent in the willingness to float.

Volcanic rocks are very variable, some closed cell, some open, and the cell size and base density of the rock varies. Yours shows the properties of a closed cell rock, or perhaps it is simply a very coarse rock with large internal cells.

Of course it still remains to discuss what ideal values of these properties might be in a succulent container soil. Total porosity is often mentioned and it is claimed that it should be 60%-70%, certainly never below 50%. I feel that this isn't the most important number, rather that the air space remaining after you water is critical for succulents, as indicated by the lower saturation numbers in your table. I suspect that rather dense soils are valuable for many succulents, certainly Lithops and some cacti seem to prefer a soil which would have low total porosity. Others prefer a much higher porosity, I would suggest that fleshy rooted species like Ectotropis, Haworthias, and some cacti, prefer a especially open soil (although possibly require regular watering in such a soil).

Lastly I still claim that the wettability, or lack of it, is important, possibly more important than any of the measurements here. In your experiment where tipping a pot forces extra water to drain, when tipping the pot a few minutes later does not force extra water to drain the perched water table has been eliminated and this is a good thing. There are other ways to quickly reduce or eliminate perched water tables: porous clay pots; only watering in dry sunny weather; and only watering plants which are thirsty.

On the other hand, some growers habitually water from below, I don't know whether this overrides any wettability issues to force a perched water table or actually reduces the amount of water retained within the soil because of limited capillary action or limited time standing in the water. Presumably all these things are possible and each grower has adapted a method which suits their own soil mixes and plants. My experience is that bottom watering is a way to put extra water into the soil and I only use occasionally for plants which are in peak growth or subject to very drying conditions (my soil and pots are chosen for safety in a cool humid climate and dry exceptionally quickly by in rare hot low humidity conditions).

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Excellent commentary shrubs.

My soil mix dries out pretty quickly on warm sunny days. What I do when plants are actively growing is to water lightly late in the day or evening so that the the sun does not dry the pots out, giving the roots time to soak up the H2O. I will then water again, heavily, the next morning to leach out any residues.

I agree, plants with thick tap roots probably benefit from a more open, coarse mix. Most mesembs with fine, shallow roots probably are better off in a dense mix that can retain moisture for long enough to give the rootlets time to absorb the available moisture.

x

• rjj1
    16 years ago

Turface MVP is about 50% of my mix and I'm very pleased with it's performance.

I've been growing a few Adenium arabicum in pure Turface MVP. They aren't growing as quickly as others from the same batch of seed, but I really like the type of growth I'm getting. Much more compact and pleasing to the eye. I plan on doing a larger group in the spring of obesum, arabicum, and Thai Soco.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

Some people grow Adeniums in pure clay granules here too. I've tried it and even with fertiliser in every watering I couldn't get the same growth as with a real soil. I'll save it for when I can't stop something rotting off in soil.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Kudos for the experiment! The peat result surprised me as well.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

In addition to other complements I would like to complement you on the presentation in the OP, especially the pictures. The pictures were focused and too large or to small for this venue. Good work.