Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

Agave or Aloe Help id

Hello I have a aloe or agave that i need help IDing.

Thanks Grant

Comments (22)

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also is the soil okay for this plant? Or do i need to transplant it into something else?

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And another pic.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    11 years ago

"Aloe, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?" -- Jim Morrison

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

Aloe Vera, though it is hard to tell with the lighting, it looks the same as mine.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

I agree, and I think it's a case of 'Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby'. That looks indeed to be the real Aloe vera, not the oft-seen Aloe vera 'chinensis', but the yellow flowers will confirm it - it appears to be flowering size. This is from later summer 2012, its first year doing that raceme thing.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does it die after flowering?

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

cactusmcharris, nice Aloe flower, you are in zone 4? So I have a good chance of having mine flower. I want to repot it and removed some of the smaller plants before I put it out this coming summer.

11 years ago

Stephanie,

It's just a matter of time, as mine proves. Yes, Z4/5, but closer to 5. I attribute my plant flowering (that started in late May and lasted into November) to being outside in the summer, so that's an excellent plan for your plant. Give it as much sun as you can in winter, too, so it won't take too long to get into full growth mode in spring. Some water and low-strength fert won't hurt it either, as long as you don't do that more than 2x a month, as long as it's in an environment of 60F or so all the time.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

aloes are not monocarpic, and Aloe vera will often bloom over and over again all year long (if outdoors). Agaves are monocarpic (with a few exceptions) and die after flowering.

My Aloe cheranganiensis starting to flower this week

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So this plant is a adult stage of the normal aloe vera? Dont they have spots on the leaves? My plant is just a light grey green.

11 years ago

No, they don't - that may be the hybrid I wrote of or another species (there are more that 300, I think). One can say that until it flowers it's not adult, I don't really know but I suspect that can be the case. That colour scheme is just the colour scheme the real Aloe vera is.

Geoff,

That's a lot of flowering happening on a relatively small plant - the hummers have more work to do.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

this plant is not that small... suckers endlessly and I have dozens of plants in pots and around the yard from cuttings of this one... one of the most prolific of all the aloes I grow. Not sure why there are not more of these around.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

PS Aloe veras do no have spots that I know of.. .though there are some extremely closely related species that are often grown indoors that have red flowers that have are growing all one the world and identified as Aloe veras. They are closely enough related that their aloe gel seems to be very similar. However, they do not look that much alike. The real Aloe vera is a pale plant (pale green or grey or dull bluish) without spots and has yellow flowers (outdoors- never seen an indoor plant flower).

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

Then I do not have a true Aloe Vera plant because my offsets have spots. My adult does not.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Step,
    Yes my plant looks just like yours and theres is one tiny pup just peeking out of the soil and it has spots like yours.

Grant

• breton2
    11 years ago

Hmm, I had a plant with looked a lot like this, but leaked purple sap when punctured. Never did figure out what it was, but it grew fast ( to 3 foot diameter in about 3 years) and was unspotted. Don't recall it suckering much, if at all...

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

sorry... young plants sometimes have spots (true with a lot of species) but should be spotless when mature. I was unclear. That looks like the real thing to me. Ever flowered?

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

Lzrddr, thank you for the clarification. No it has not flowered for me yet. It's about 3 years old, it is outside as soon as our weather permits. Maybe this coming year. Stevi

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

Forgot to ask, how long is the tap root on Aloe, the pot I have it in is kind of small now for it and was wanting to put it in a large dish but I see that other's have there's in pots with more depth then what a bowl would give it. Thanks Stevi

11 years ago

Stevi,

Aloes don't have tap roots.

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

Cactusmcharris,(lol) I should have known that. Thanks Stevi

This post was edited by stephanie_kay on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 6:55

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

How beautiful! Making me drool, Lzrddr!