Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

crispy leaf margins & other ramdom weirdness

hookilau
9 years ago

So.
I've got most of my plants in a gritty mix & I've noticed a trend.
I suspect I'm doing something wrong, but trying not to overthink it.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed new shop lights with new cool blue tubes.
Not sure of the wattage, T8's if that makes any difference.

Right away I noticed new growth on my sparse jades, I also noticed many various plants had new growth at the tops, but lost older, lower leaves. These just start to lose color, become pale then drop. Plants are crassula, echeveria, sedum, adenium & aeonium.

I'm watering once weekly and all plants had been dressed with osmocote slow release fert, so I'm not adding anything to the water.

So to sum up, new growth, but losing lowest leaves.
Am I watering too much?....too little?

My adenium are not in a gritty mix right now (looking for good replacement pots) and they get dried crispy margins on the leaf edges. I've observed baby leaves will turn light green & drop off easily when petted. These I don't suspect of overwatering because the appearance of their potting medium is of a dried up old sponge as I'm erring on the side of less is more until I re-pot.

Thoughts?

Comments (12)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

That's how these plants grow (and how you tell they're in their most active growth) - grow new, shed old.

Most Adeniums are in a slow if not completely dormant state (winter), so if you have growth it will be minimal. I'd not pet the leaves until they're of a suitable size and maturity.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, my Adenium is going dormant now...I haven't watered for over a month.

Most of my Jades are growing and flowering, and shedding the older leaves. Much of it has to do with the fact that those lower, older leaves can no longer be supported by the current amount of light the plants are receiving.

Josh

• hookilau
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol!
    yeah, I have a bad habit of petting my plants. My p.afra sheds a fair amount, but there are lots of new leaves and the tips are pink.

My adenium aren't dormant, with the exception of one. They're all putting on new leaves (jades too).

I guess they're adjusting =)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Don't be too hard on yourself. Petting your plants, especially houseplants, isn't necessarily a bad habit. It can have a positive effect on them because it stimulates a thigmomorphogenic response. Even more effective than petting them is to scrub the stems and leaves lightly with a dry tooth brush. The light abrasion stimulates the production of ethylene gas, which in turn stimulates production of lignin - a part of all plants, but better known for being the natural polymer that makes woody plants woody. More lignin = a stronger plant and one more resistant to insects and disease.

In addition to natural senescence, the shedding of lower leaves can be associated with a number of causes. Tight roots is a big cause ..... also, mites, under-watering, over-watering or soil compaction, a high level of dissolved solids in the soil solution, and light issues.

Plants are usually better able to adjust to increased photo load (over time) than a decrease in light, but the ability to adjust in either direction isn't unlimited. Just as an illustration: If we imagine that a new leaf appears on a houseplant under light conditions of 5 on a 1-10 scale, that leaf might be able to adjust, gradually, to a level of 8 on the brighter side, but maybe only a 3 or 4 on the dim side before the plant's internal chemical messengers help it "decide" to shed the leaf because it's unable to adjust to the new light environment.

Nothing definitive, but some things to think about.

Al

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Hookilau - I think my plants are beginning to show symptoms like yours too. And a few specific breeds are beginning to show signs of variegation too. Initially with on leaf, and now more leaves are changing colors too. Not that I'm complaining about the new coats of color, but I'm just worried about the well-being of my plants conditions.

I've also beginning to fertilize with foilage pro once a week before they reach the dormant phase.

Post pics in a bit..

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

Bernardyjh, im noticing this with my echeveria opal moon. Hmmm, its getting a lighter color which i would think should be darkening but a couple leaves are showing varigation.....i didnt know this could happen with this particular plant.

• hookilau
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just an update. I defoliated and re-potted (not at the same time) and I no longer have these issues with my Adeniums.

It had to be something with the soil or light situation. My p. afra no longer sheds and it was definitely the light situation for him. I put him closer to the florescent bulb & he stopped shedding leaves. I pet gently often to check & no leaf drop. Now that he's outside in full all day sun all is well. He wanted more light.

The Adeniums on the other hand, after a re-pot & switch to all GM, were recently defoliated & I'm waiting for signs of new growth. They're outside in a bright but shaded area.

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

Mine is getting more light now. Unfortunatley i cant find much about opal moon echeveria. I read on a search last night that it colors up in fall.........but unfortunatley i cant find much info on it. im glad yours are better by the way

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    8 years ago

Losing old leaves sounds like nitrogen deficiency. The fact that it stopped with fresh mix and I assume fertilizer lends credence to that.

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago
    Lilbit - I'm getting the same effects from my echeveria perle von numberg too. It's supposed to be in this deep shade of pink, but mine is turning pale with some orange on the edge. I see newer leaves growing, and they are not variegated though. This shading is happening to my other echeverias too, but not as drastic as my perle.

My nodulosa is looking limp too. The newer leaves aren't growing these red markings as it should be.

If you have pics to share your opal moon, maybe I might be able to search for more info.
  • bernardyjh
    8 years ago
    Hookilau - My window is facing south west, so the plants do get approximately 8-10 hours of direct sun with the exception of them behind the windows. I'm worried that the sun rays might be magnified, causing the variegation to take place. It's affecting my kalanchoes too. Not sure insufficient light is the root of my problems.

I'm exercising stricter regime of watering - like once a week now. And the results for the past 2 weeks are showing my plants aren't adapting well to it. I used to water every other 2 days, sometimes twice a day for the younger ones. And with this frequency, each time I water, I hear the seeping sound and the mix is bone dry.

My jade looks awful now, it looks like a malnourished finger with no flesh at all. I'm going to re-tweak my watering schedule.

I see drying and limp leaves on the lower parts of all my echeverias too. It seems like my plants are just showing signs of thirst.

What are your thoughts?

Nil - I started foliage pro once a week now, I give very minimal amounts. Usually spritz till the water drains. I'm adamant on upping the dosage for now.
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting