Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outspokenagain

Succulents curling under- possibily lack of sunlight?

outspokenagain
9 years ago

So I'm relatively new at growing succulents. Only had mine for half a year.

From what I've read, these succulents that are curling under are having a lack of sunlight? I currently live in an apartment, with all the windows North facing. I've attached a little layout of my apartment below. would it be better if i left them every day for a couple hours/for a whole day once a week in the bigger window in the living room? The window they're by now is king of blocked by the building but I thought it was enough light.

Also, I live in an apartment building, so I can't leave them outside to get more light. :( I do go to my parents once a week, so would it be good if I took them there and left them in a more direct window light for a whole day?

It's winter right now and I don't know if they'll do well in Utah weather. And I've also posted a picture of my succulents in the post below this one.

Thank you for your assistance in advance!

Comments (9)

• outspokenagain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture of succulents:

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

1. Your pot is way way too large for the plant. It will rot in there.
    2. What is the potting media?
    3. Can you buy a grow light for it?

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

I agree with hoovb. It will need a smaller pot, faster draining soil, and absolutely needs more light. Handle that first then I suggest repotting in the Spring. Because of the size of the pot & the soil you will need to be very careful not to overwater. Can you try putting them in your living room window? Unfortunately north facing windows are the worst for the only light source for succulents. I suggest a grow light to get them through winter. Or your parents place it that is reasonable.

• outspokenagain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have about 1-3 gravel at the bottom and gravel and dirt mixed through the rest. These were my first succulents, so I didn't know much about how to pot them. I got another succulent and cut down on the soil and added oil dri into the mix, and will done the same come spring.

I generally water them about every 2-3 weeks now for winter since they already don't receive much light. Is that a good amount for now?

The pot has a height of 4 inches and a diameter of 4 inches as well. And I'll look into a growing light. Thank you for your responses!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Gravel at the bottom is not good for drainage. The water will drain better with a similar particle size throughout the pot.

Could you define "dirt"?

tj

• outspokenagain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I was informed wrong then. I thought having larger rocks in the bottom helped drainage. Good to know then.

The dirt is old dried up potting dirt that has large pieces of material (i.e. sticks, woodchips, rocks) mixed in with the dried up dirt.

I'm working on getting smaller pots, and I also have another problem that has emerged within the past two days.

I looks like something has been eating my succulents also? I haven't taken them outside at all or brought any new plants in. They're been fine up until now, but this plant has started getting these indents on the tops (see picture below) and all three have had small bite marks in the sides.

I had small flies before when I first got them, but the files have been gone for months. Any idea what these could be?

• outspokenagain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture of the marks:

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

Hey there,

Might not be a pest and could just be general rot due to over saturated soil. As stated above, even in southern more sunny regions, northern windows will work for a very limited number of plants to grow and thrive in. If that is all you have to work with, you will be forced to look into supplemental lighting. Repot into smallest container it will fit into and cut your soil with 50/50 perlite/soil for better drainage. Unfortunately, your conditions are about as bad as possible for this type plant. (ie: water retentive soil, not enough light and too large a container). Don't feel bad, its all about trial and error with these guys. I've killed several trying to maximize my growing conditions. Sounds like you'll have to decide if growing this type of plant in your conditions is worth setting up a grow station or not.

Good luck!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

It is possible that damage on the leaves is from something chewing on it - could be caterpillar (?) or some similar insect, or even rodent - mouse. Don't be surprised should there be a little mouse roaming around thru the night...in cold weather, they seek warmer temps too. I didn't manage to get a photo, but did see a field mouse nibbling on my succulent last summer (outside!).