Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mam. elongata 'Copper King' cristata - on its way out-a?

Posted by chaparralgirl Sonoran Desert CA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 20:59

This is one of my favorites among my cacti. The coloring is just so vibrant. Well, it was vibrant. I want to say maybe a few days before we moved - so, about 2 weeks ago, I think? - I noticed some of it seemed to have dried out. Which, of course, means that portion has died. With the move, things have been so hectic that I haven't really had time (or remembered) to post pics and ask, so maybe at this point it might be too late to do something...?

Here's the Copper King:

Photobucket

Here's the healthy section:

Photobucket

Here's the dead section:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And a view of the soil (in case that helps at all):

Photobucket

Copper King is supposedly hardy to 32F; it was an inside plant before we moved, but it was inside when I first noticed the dead portion. I rarely water my cacti. But it's in the soil it came in, so that may be a factor.

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I cut off the dead part and repot what's left? It's outside now - should I bring it in? Change the soil? I'd really hate to lose it. It was a lucky find at Wal-Mart and I don't know where or when I'll find another one.

*CG*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mam. elongata 'Copper King' cristata - on its way out-a?

CG,

That looks too far gone to reasonably expect a comeback, no matter how loving the care*.

*Speaking of which, theoretically it's not a goner - it would need some assiduous treatment.

o

Cactus,

:( Given my thumb, I imagine that such "assiduous" treatment is beyond me; but what might it entail?

*CG*

o

Grafting the viable parts onto a healthy cactus (the scion onto the stock).

o

Hm. Yeah, I think that might be beyond me at this point. I'm sure it's not that difficult, it's just not something I know how to do at this point in time. :(

I appreciate the feedback, though. As always. Thanks, Cactus.

*CG*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here