Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am sooo excited! My mother jade in FULL bloom!

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 21:07

Yes! I am very excited about this plant everyone...

I did what I had to do to get it to flower and now I know I can do this with any others. But this plant has sentimental value to me and I am hoping all teh dozens I shared with many here from the U.S to Europe, get the same results I am getting:-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one jade will be my next project. I still love the colors of the leaves and bark though. I think this is a tricolor?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am sooo excited! My mother jade in FULL bloom!

Excellent job, my friend!

And yes, the second one is a 'Tricolor'.

Christopher

o

Wow! Fantastic!
What did you have to do to get it to bloom? I had my jade outside, and it bloomed in the height of summer, but only a little bit.

It looks like a tricolor from what I've seen in pictures. I'm not 100% sure. What I am 100% sure of is that I want to get one of those.

o

Wow! Beautiful! I hope to have some blooming jades one day.

I have a question...don't variegated jades turn a bit red in the sun too? If so, what is the difference between a variegated jade and a tricolor?

o

Mike,
Mother Jade is beautiful!! She is sure showing her appreciation for all you've done for her!
Amazing!!!

The tri is beautiful too!!
It wouldn't surprise me if it bloomed soon too!

JoJo

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 23:00

Oh, Mother Jade is gorgeous indeed.

o

Very nice mama. Your tricolor looks great too! All of my variegated jades are droopy, lopsided things.

o

Nice, Mike! How do you do that?

Tom

o

Looks great Mike!! Curious if those little flowers ever produce seed?? Maybe would need to be cross-pollinated by another jade clone......just rambling thoughts!! My big green Jade here is just past peak bloom. It always blooms in winter about this time of year.

o

very nice Mike

o

Congrats Mike!! She is beautiful in full bloom! I'm SO envious :o)

Love your tricolor Jade as well...

Thanks for sharing!

o

Hello!
Yessir, I wish my Jades were covered in blooms like that.
Thank you again for the cuttings of this beauty :-)

Josh

o

Hey Mike,
very nice and how did you do it....going to share the know how????
I love that jade..so glad you send me one and then a second after the storm here...thanks a lot....linda

o

Guess what Mike? I just found out today that 2 of my Jades have teeny tiny buds!! The variegated from you is one of them...I'm very excited! Thanks again for sharing yours!!

o

Oh...and since I know you like Mango trees...I also wanted to share a picture of my potted Mango tree just starting to Bloom...Now I just have to hope for NO freeze or else there goes my future Mangoes!

o

My, I have been so sick and tired, that I almost forgot to come back:-)

Thanks so much everyone! I am really excited about this plant and finally knowing what it takes to get any of my jades to flower.

The only thing I am disappointed about is the fact that I gave out dozens of this plant, and the only thing I asked back then was for everyone to please update me me on them, and I am not getting much of anything except for a couple of dedicated friends here..Oh well

Nancy! I am in shock actually about the cutting I gave you flowering! Oh, I am so excited for you, since I know how hard it can get any jade to flower where you live. I remember you saying it would be nice to see the cutting I sent you to flower, and look at this. Oh, thank you for sharing my friend.
Did I tell you how wonderful it is to see you back again too? :-_)))

Thank you for that Mango pic too.I love it! I have yet to get one. I almost did but I am waiting of a friend here to tell me if it is worth it since he has had one for two years now. Look at all those flowers! Yum.

The Tricolor I didn't think I would like when I first got it, and now I do. I love the bark too.

LInda, all I did was situate it in an area I knew it would only get natural light to darkness without being in a lit room once it gets dark, and whalla! It is the darkness that made mine set flowers. I treated it like my T.C and this is what I got:-)

Josh, yes, thank you too:-)

Houston. look at you visiting here. Nice to see you here other than on the citrus forum. You came out of the box:-)

Woodnative, I am not sure. Good Question. I shall have to see what happens. Thanks.

Hey Tom, thanks pal...Hey, is there anything coming up at Tower Hills soon? I'll bet you love your greenhouse:-)

Hanzrobo..I wonder why they are droopy? At least all your other plants are fantastic!

Teatree..Thanks a bunch:-)

Jojo, aw, you are so sweet. Thanks so much. I will be sharing some with you once I get my lazy but in gear and the weather warms up"-+_)

Irrelephant..Thank you:-)

Chris, how are you? Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words as always//:)

Laura, thank you too. My jades do get a bit red at the edges once they are exposed to natural sunlight in the spring.

Mike

o

I love the mother jade photos!! It is such a wonderful plant and then to see it blooming is just spectacular!! Well done Mike!!

Melody

o

Fantastic, Nancy! I'm so glad that you have blooms!

Hey, Mike! :-)

Josh

o

Wow, great looking jades! I just found a tiny jade cutting. I hope mine will eventually grow to this size someday.

o

Oh WOW, Nancy...your jade is blooming for you! I'm green with envy :((

Mine has stayed the same!

Mike: what did you do to the mother jade that made her bloom? If I could only do the same to mine!

Xuan

o

Morning,

Mike..Wow, what a beutiful Jade with pink/white flowers! There's so many blooms..
A Happy Crassula doing winter..sooo very nice..

Pug...Your Mango is amazing. I love it!! And a standard to boot.
I surely understand why you don't want a freeze..Not only because it'd harm your gorgeous tree, but trying to carry that plant in the house would require a tow truck. :)

Your little Jades are so cute..and blooming, too..Amazing, at that age isn't it? BTW, what is the Jade's age? Toni

o

Thank you Mike, Josh, Taffany, Xuan and Toni!!

I think its really cool to see my Jades bloom in FL too!

o

Toni,
Nancy's plants are cuttings from Mike's mother plant.
I forget how old the mother plant is, but the cuttings can't be more than a few years rooted.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh!

Hey Toni...I've probably had the cuttings from Mike appx. 2 years? That's what's great about getting a cutting from an established and mature Jade...chances of it imitating the Mother/parent plant is pretty good.

o

Hello Toni, Josh, Pug!

Melody and Taffanyq, thank you so much. It's funny, that plant never meant a thing to me until I found this forum. Now, my view of my plants has totally changed now that I know how different they are and can share interests with like minded people:-)

Xuan! What's happening!? How's tthe little one and you:-)?
I can't believe yours is still doing the same.
Have you tried to put it in a darker area about now for a few weeks?

So good to see you:-)

Have a great day all.

Mike

o

Mike, wow....that is wonderful...in full bloom. Jade is very hard to get it to bloom. I don't read this forum everyday, but today I bump in to this and can't stop looking at it for so long. I am not very good with jade, I had 2 but they didn't last in my care.

Pug....your mango is so healthy and full. Please save me one next year.....Florida weather is good to you.
Marie

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 3:03

Mike,
That's awesome that you got it to bloom! I hope to some day help mine do the same! I love the variegation of the mother plant leaves, and the tri color is beautiful too!

o

Hi Mike and Marie!

Marie, we're getting our first "cold front" Saturday morning and its suppose to be 34 degrees! Keeping fingers crossed it won't get much lower than that. I will probably lose the blooms at 34 degrees :o(...may kill the blooms with those low temps **sigh**...that is a 45 gallon Pot...it is waaaay too heavy to move inside!!

Keep your fingers crossed it survives...

Marie, come visit me in FL and if the Mango survives I will give you some :o)

o

How old is that Jade? I wonder because I have some small ones that are barely showing any "bark" and have wondered how long it takes for then to get to that mini tree form.

Pug- great name! I have two black pugs myself and love them dearly. Also beautiful mango. I have just begun researching what it would entail for meto grow one in a pot to rotate between indoors and out to be able to experience tree ripened fruit. It's very interesting.

o

Oh, Mike, is that how I can get my jade to bloom, putting it in a dark place for a few weeks? Okiedokie...I'm gonna do that right now.

Thanks for the tips.

Xuan

Oh, I forgot to mention...my granddaughter is growing up, she can now walk already :)

Here's an update photo to share.

Xuan

o

Oh, that is such a cute picture! :-)
Happy Holiday, Xuan!

Josh

o

Yes my Jade was particularly nice this year. It always blooms around Thanksgiving in November. But this year I was able to keep it in bloom until Christmas (barely). By the 23rd of December it was pretty much shot. But the best year ever. All it takes it being able to go thru a normal seasonal variation in light.

o

Here it is in the shade.

o

Very pretty.

o

I am so sorry everyone! I was very sick and sorry!

Itran..Thank you so much. You like looking at my jade as much as I like looking at your Desert Roses! Thank you:-)

Bsmith.Thanks! It is still in full bloom after all this time! I never saw blooms last so long. I am not sure how old it is, but at least more than 6 years old.
I am horrible with dates at the moment. I have heard of some blooming theirs as just cuttings:-)

Catevala..WOW. Now that is one happy plant. It's beautiful.

Xuan! What a cutie is right! Was Santa good to him? What a cute kid! You must love him so much and have so much fun! I hope your jade does bloom.
Is that a picture behind that chair? It is beautiful Xuan.
By the way, it's snowing here a lot! Lucky me, right? lol

Nancy, please, how did your Mango tree fare along with all your others in that cold. I thought of you when I saw ice all over everything. Is the tree ok?

Hello Josh! :-)

Mike

o

Bsmith, thanks! I LOVE pugs,lol...I'm sure your 2 pugs are just adorable!! You should try a potted mango. I know several people that grow them inside for the winter.

Xuan, your grandaughter is so cute! Don't they grow up so quickly?

Mike, I'm SO sorry you've been sick. I sure hope you feel better soon. My mango blooms survived the last cold snap...but unfortunately we have 2 1/2 more months of possible frost/freeze before I can breathe a lot easier, its going to be a long winter :o(

I noticed my first and oldest Jade (I'll have it 6 years in January)has some tiny buds on a few of the branches. This is the very first time its ever had buds. This makes 3 Jade plants in bud for me...I'm pretty excited!!

Catevala, that is one gorgeous Jade...I love it! Thanks for posting those pictures.

I'll post pictures "if" mine open...but it will be a while, I noticed they take forever to grow...

Hey Josh!!

o

Oooh! I am so envious! Such gorgeous jades! (:

o

Hello Mike... Happy New Year to you and yours!

We are having good weather here at my highland garden. My jade has been put to sleep in a dark room and I hope to find it bloom in a few weeks' time.

That is my granddaughter in the photo and in the background is a photo (enlarged print) we took a few years back in Belgium, Europe.

All the best to you, my dear friend

Xuan

o

Mike, do you have the flu? I hear it's going to be a nasty year for the flu. Feel better!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here