Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Pedilanthus

Posted by kaktuskris 5 (barharbor75@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 21:52

The leaves on my little Pedilanthus tithymaloides, now classified as Euphorbia tithymaloides, have coloured up to a nice pink in my south facing window.

Christopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Pedilanthus

Very nice!
Cool stem structure.

Josh

o

Chris!

You have yourself one nice unique plant there. Very nice! I could see a spot for one of those on my tiny leftover space in my sunny window sill:-)

Hello Josh.

Mike

o

Very nice,like the coloring on it.TFS
Kathi

o

Thanks for the comments!

Another name for this is Devil's Backbone. Don't know why this is not more popular than it is.

Christopher

o

Not my cup of tea, but I will say it's different all right. Fist time I saw one I thought it was plastic except it was on a landscaped property, plastic wouldn't have made sense. I will admire its colors, very nice.

o

Thanks for posting the photo. Never had seen one ot these. Neat pastel colors.

o

That is a great plant! The variety of color in the leaves and the crooked look of the stem makes for a very interesting plant. It looks so happy and well cared for! I would have never recognized it as a succulent.

I'm a newbie here and you've brought up something I don't know anything about. You said that it has been now classified as a Euphorbia. The plant's the same plant, so was it simply misclassified like a shoe being put in the wrong closet? Was something new observered about the plant that caused a name change? Who decides to change it? Maybe I should do a search and read up on this.

o

Forgot to mention this is the variegated form. In lower light, the leaves will have white instead of pink.

When it comes to plant classification, it seems there are two types of people who do this; the lumpers and the splitters. The lumpers lump similar plants together in one big genus, while the splitters split them into smaller genera. The powers that be today are lumpers, while I side with the splitters. So they classified some plants I do not consider Euphorbia as Euphorbia, like Pedilanthus.

Christopher

o

When it blooms, does it have cyathia?

Josh

o

Thanks, Christopher. That must be why there seems to be some confusion when it comes to identifing some plants. Sometimes when I am reading along, a book will say that a plant is also known as...and then lists a few other names/genera.

o

Josh, that is another thing, the flowers do not resemble 'typical' cyathia of Euphorbia. In fact, an old misnomer for this plant was Red Bird Cactus, as the flowers were supposed to resemble a bird.

Christopher

o

Here is a link to Google Images of the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pedilanthus flowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here