Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Crassula ovata ssp. obliqua (re-potted)

Hey, folks!

After seeing Jade Man's (Doug's) all-green plantlets, I had to get myself one of these Jades.

I bought this Jade around mid-Summer, and I should have re-potted as soon as I got it home.

It grew exceptionally well, and quickly, too! But it also became top-heavy, as Jades are wont to do.

Lately, I'd noticed adventitious roots emerging from the hairy nodes, so I decided to re-pot.

Gritty Mix, in case you're wondering ;)

Also, this Jade is mostly green...but a few variegated leaves do grow on the plant.

I omitted the "variegata" descriptor in the title of the Thread.

Anyhow, here are several pics that I hope you'll enjoy.

The day after the Summer Solstice:

Some of those emerging roots that I was careful to bury just under the new potting mix:

The entire plant, sitting beside its new ceramic pot:

Re-potted, and back on the window-sill with a Silver Dollar Jade (Crassula arborescens) for company:

Josh

Comments (27)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Josh, it might be my computer, but pics aren't displaying. Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not your computer, Toni. I exceeded my bandwidth for the month.
    Last night I posted a pinecone at the Conifer Forum, and that put me over the alotment.
    Tonight, at midnight, the pics will re-appear when my bandwidth resets.
    I do hope you'll check back.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Josh:

I use Picasa and never have a problem with bandwith or anything else. I hear everybody here always talk about Photobucket Photobucket, Photobucket and so few mention Picasa, which serves me very well.

Christopher

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Christopher!
    I'm not a big fan of the Picasa layout, interface, or the way images are linked.
    Photobucket is super simple. My problem is that I just post too many pics ;)
    This is the first time I've gone over, and I knew I was playing it close.

Josh

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

I'm jealous! Beautiful plant! Just beautiful!
    Thanks for confirming I have a Silver Dollar jade too! LOL That's what I thought it was. My gosh for leaves on those things, can you say FAT?! ;)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Nodakgal! ;)
    The oblique Jade is such a great-looking plant that I'm sorry I didn't buy one sooner.
    It has been very easy to grow, no pest problems, no spotted leaves, and it sure doesn't
    seem to have been affected by the diminishing Winter light.

Now, as for that Crassula arborescens' leaves...FAT is the word, indeed!
    And, let me tell you, those leaves will *explode* if you pinch them hard enough! O.O
    Both of these plants caught my eye after seeing GardenWeb members' plants.
    Doug for the obliqua, and Jonas for the arborescens.
    My hearty gratitude to these gentlemen!

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Looks Great Josh...that's a pretty Jade! Looks like it will happy living in that window for a while till you get a chance to bring outdoors next Spring!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Nancy!
    It's been exactly 6 months since I took the first pic...How time flies!
    Although I have a fondness for Winter, I do look forward to warmer weather for my Jades' sake ;)
    I'll be pruning this one before long!

Josh

• jade_man
    13 years ago

i like the plant and the new pot!!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Doug, your plants were the inspiration for this purchase.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh, absolutely stunning !!! Yet another plant to add to your collection of beauties..BRAVO!

Mike

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Beautiful 'Silver Dollar' Jade, Josh....I was so impressed I immediately ordered two of them...along with the crassula 'Springtime', posted on another thread. I'm always amazed with your plants...great growing!! Fondly, Patrick

Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning, and Merry Christmas, Mike and Patrick!

Great buys, Patrick. I'm really enamoured of the Crassula arborescens.....
    its thick leaves, light blue-green/grey coloration, and its unique trunk characteristics.
    I love Jade trunks....and this particularly excellent trunk just can't be denied!!!
    I've pruned mine twice, and it was a breeze to root both cuttings for friends.

Both of these 'Jades' are easy to water, as well, because the leaves
    begin to soften very apparently. A little squeeze lets you know.

Crassula 'Springtime' is nice because it blooms readily!

Josh

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Hey Josh...sorry for the slow response, but I want to thank you for the information. You have a great reputation for always being so helpful and knowledgeable. One more question regarding C. aborescens, does this plant "branch"? I'm looking forward to receiving these crassulas...but, the rain in California is preventing their shipment. Again, thanks a million!! Fondly, Patrick

Original Author
    13 years ago

That's very kind of you to say, Patrick!

Yessir, the arborescens does branch very well. When I bought mine, it had three branches,
    including the central growing tip. However, the weight of the foliage caused it to be unbalanced.
    So....I removed the heaviest branch and rooted it for a friend. A while later, I removed the
    other branch to again balance the heavy foliage so it would be immediately above the trunk.

A new branch is growing now, with better placement. I'll be able to control the growth according
    to my personal tastes, and I'll be able to maintain the distribution of foliage weight.

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Josh, a little less than a year and I'm checking back. lol.

Your Jade looks, 'almost' like Mike's Jade, with center striping.

Do you have current picturs of this Jade now?

I've never seen roots grow so high up on the trunk. Toni

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Josh,

How did you get such little variegation in the plant?

And I favour those pots, too, but the only problem is the plants grow out of the pots too quickly.

And how did you exceed PB's limit? That's why I use it instead of Flickr, but still.

And that reputation for being helpful and knowledgeable? I'd lose those two, Mister.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Jeff:

That is a good question about exceeding PB's limit. I have filled one album up with 2500 pictures and they let you start as many albums as you want after you filled one up. I shall have to talk to Josh about that.

By the way, I too LOVE the pots and his plants of course.

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Good evening, Toni, Jeff, and Mike!

Toni, I'll take an update pic to post in this Thread.

Jeff, the local nursery carries flats of these green oblique Jades,
    right alongside the more common variegated oblique Jades. I tried to select the
    plant with the least variegation, but they all seemed to have some....

Definitely they've outgrown these pots! There are roots coming through the drainage holes ;-)

Thanks, Mike!
    About the Photobucket bandwidth thing. It's not the storage capacity I exceeded,
    it's the bandwidth usage per month - I'd simply posted too many pics that particular month.
    No worries. At the stroke o' Midnight, the pics all returned ;-)

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

And now I'm back with updated images...!

Had a camera/computer issue this morning - computer wouldn't recognize the camera.....
    so it took me a while to re-install the programs before I could upload. All fixed now...I hope.

The main plant.

Trunk with interesting hairy nodes.

Trunk at the soil-line with interesting hairy nodes. New growth will most likely erupt from
    these areas, as well.

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Josh,

They're looking good - and both of them are rooting there so when you repot them you can lay them on their sides, but you're perfectly aware of that already, of course...

You can see the alligator back already forming in the last two pictures - sweet.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jeff!

This Jade roots like you wouldn't believe! (actually, I bet you would).
    I've snipped inches off of this Jade, and the cuttings have taken off with incredible speed.
    Next time I'm down in Sacramento, I'll take pics of the cutting I gave to my brother.

The trunk texture is really appealing... ;-) hehe....

Josh

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

Gorgeous plant Josh!
    Tami

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Tami.

As luck would have it, I did get a pic of my brother's cutting....check this thing out.
    Tons of growth during the Spring and the Summer.

Josh

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

That jade is just a delight. If I ever were to spot one, I'd snatch it right up.

• andrewofthelemon
    12 years ago

Josh, where did you get that silver dollar jade? I have a book on C&S and it has a couple great pictures of that.

AHHH!!! I cant find the poster now, but someone asked something about branching? I have this product called Keiki Grow that looks like green slime that I apply the TINIEST amount with a toothpick to the axil buds (terminology?) It is made for orchids, but i have used it successfully on african violets, hot peppers, and my tiny jade plant.

I don't remember exactly what it does, it's some odd cell/hormone thing

Here is some stuff for the keiki grow for whoevers interested.http://www.orchidmall.com/hormones/keikifaq.htm

That Isnt a link to buy it (i think theres a rule against that), but i have the link to buy it on amazon and i'll email that to whoever cant find it from google.