Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin8307

help ID some succulents

kevin8307
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm new the the group, and would like to ask your expertise. I have purchased some succulents at some local stores, but they were not identified (just listed as a general succulent). I would like to figure out the ID of the plants, and have been somewhat successful. There are a couple here that I can't ID, and was wondering if you could help me.

Here is plant 1

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments (21)

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

different view of plant 1

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plant 2

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plant2 another view

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plant3

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plant3

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and last but now least...plant4

which if you can help, doesn't look too happy these days. The leaves are kinda shriveled and just overall not too healthy looking. Do you think it is over-watered, or not watered enough. There is a slit cut at the bottom of the dino, but I've never watered enough to see water drip from the slit.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

The first one looks like Graptopetalum superbum, a not overly happy one.

The 2nd one looks like an Echeveria of some sort, or possibly graptoveria 'Fred Ives', also not particularly happy.

3rd one--Stapelia maybe?

The 4th one another Echeveria of some sort, also in want of light.

Try to give them more light, and do not over-water. Cute dino-planters.

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the tips. The 1st and 2nd were purchased the other day at a grocery store and not well taken care of. They looked to be planted in just miracle grow, I transplanted them to a mix of MG with some sand and small rocks added to them to help it drain. The 4th plant in the dino I've had about 2-3wks, with transplant to the dino right after purchase from the garden store. All of them sit on a windowsill at work (double pane thick window--I don't know if it blocks more of the UV light or not) and get some good light during the day (when the sun is out and not covered by clouds). I hope they get better.

I also have this plant that I believe is Crassula falcata (sorry if it posts upside down...I can't fix it).

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the Dinos together showing them next to the window. I believe it is a south facing window and gets decent sun with it's out. But I agree with hoovb that they could probably get more light...but it's too cold here in wisconsin to put them any where else really (we are in freezing temps during the day), until this spring.

I hope they all start to do better.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

They should be fine and actually may appreciate being in the cooler window at night. As long as temps don't get below 50 most succulents show more color when exposed to temps like that. Plus the extra sun!

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Are those dinos really planters or did you cut them? Maybe I should steal some of my son's toys and make a few, hmmmmm......

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They were toys that I got from the bargain bin at Target. I just cut the top and then cut a slit in the bottom to help with drainage. I'm guessing that unhappy succulents that I have are due to not liking the transplant right away and being neglected at the store. Hopefully they will bounce back. The good sign is that they haven't outright died yet.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Kevin,

It could also be the mix you've mentioned is not helping. Sand tends to compact, making plants unable to breathe, we tend to recommend against using it unless it's coarse grained sand. Small rocks don't help either (sorry); while you were clearly well intended, those additional components are likely hurting, not helping here.

If all you've got on hand is MG mix, I'd add abt 40% perlite to that & it should be OK.

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info pirate girl. Would it be best to move them now, or wait a bit, since they were recently moved to this soil?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Move them now - the sooner, the better, but if you've stopped watering them to almost nothing at all it's likely not hurting them too much.

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

I agree w/hoovb on 1st ID: Graptopetalum superbum.
    Second seems more likely xGraptoveria 'Opalina', but could be other.
    Third could be Orbea (Stapelia) variegata. When it flowers, you can confirm.
    Last, I don't know from that pic.

Agree w/all advice about sun/soil.

Cute dino planters & group!
    (Yes, Crassula falcata.)

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the help with the ID and in helping with the soil. I purchased some cactus/succulent soil mix along with some perlite. I ended up mixing them together to get a soil mix with a lot more perlite than the cactus mix had already. I think it will work well. The Graptoveria that wasn't looking so hot lost a couple leaves along the way bewteen purchase and today. I did notice however, today after a couple days in the sun seems to be making it happier, and the leaves are not falling off as easily.

As a note, as I was moving the succulents that were in the dinosaurs (a jade, the crassula falcata, and the "Echeveria"), I noticed that a lot of that soil was really dry. That could be the reason the crassula and the "Echeveria" were looking kinda shriveled some. I also pruned some leaved off the Echerveria that were looking bad. I guess the dinos take a lot more water than I thought. There is a lot of soil in those things since they are largely hollow, and I guess it takes a lot to get it moist throughout. This new mix was more moist, so that should help.

With all of them, I will wait a couple days before watering.

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry, the pic was upside down

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Graptopetalum superwhat?????

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

make sure the slit in the toys can really drain. make it a little wider if you can.

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks hoovb. Right now the dinos don't seem to be getting enough water to completely saturate the soil all the way through, but I'm thinking of drilling a drainage hole in the bottom which should help with draining and maybe with some watering in the first place.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?