Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_105

Broken Aloe

tom_105
16 years ago

I've got a small aloe plant with a broken stem (thanks cat). It is broken right at the base, where the leaves start to come out. Will this heal itself? Or, can I grow a new plant from the leaves?

Comments (4)

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

No they will not grow from the leaves, nor will a band-aid work. LOL
    Just hope they will regrow from the base, which is possible. Most Aloe are dormant at this time and are coming into flower. Most like hot temperatures to be at their best. Do not transplant now, you must wait until you see new growth and will need good light as well. I will X my fingers for the plant. Norma

• fytgyrl
    15 years ago

My aloe has developed a very long stem and the weight of the leaves hanging from this stem has pulled it right out of the soil. There are three pieces this way. I have had the plant for several years in the same standard 6" terra cotta pot. I want to prune the long stem, but of course, that's where the roots are attached. Do I simply bury the entire stem in deep soil or cut the stem and new roots will grow? Please advise. I have pictures but am not sure how to post them.

• Denise
    15 years ago

First, just wondering if Tom got his Aloe to re-root?

FG...Yes, you can cut Aloes off and re-root them. I've done it with several, but it is a waiting game. Here's the best way to do it. First, make sure it's been well watered within the last few days. It should be holding as much water in it's leaves as possible. Then cut the stem (where depends on how big the Aloe is - you want some stem left from which to grow new roots...) Make sure you use a clean knife. Set the cut Aloe in a pot that's small enough so the bottom leaves rest on the sides of the pot, holding the stem up, dangling in the middle of the pot. No soil in the pot, mind you. Put it in a place where it will get no direct sun - just a bright spot. After awhile, it will start to get what I call "root nubbies" poking out through the "skin" of the stem. Once you see them protruding a bit, you can put some soil in the bottom of the pot, just enough to barely cover those "root nubbies." Water sparingly until you see new growth on the plant itself. In fact, what I often do is water it now and then, and between waterings, just heavily mist the surface of the soil every few days or when it starts to dry out.

I had an Aloe nobilis that had, over the years, lost lower leaves and looked a little leggy. I was a little hesitant to do this (as I had with a lot of smaller Aloes) because it was big and beautiful and I didn't want to lose it. But it worked like a charm. Be forwarned, though, that it CAN take quite awhile for the whole process. This time of year, it'll root quicker than it would have in winter, but it may still be summer's end before you're potting it up...

Denise in Omaha

• valentinetbear
    15 years ago

Denise,
    Are "root nubbies" kin to those nubby like things that poke out, if you try to grow a new pineapple from a supermarket one, by cutting the top off, removing the fruity flesh. If you've never tried growing a pineapple that way, I have a picture of it on my site's page, linked below. The picture is in the third column, second picture down in the explanation of growing a pineapple. Hard to see the nubbies even that close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple Propagation Instructions