Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haw. fasciata?

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 22:11

Been ages it seems since I got this one. Needless to say any tag is long gone. I seem to remember it being Haw. fasciata, but thought I'd "run it up the flagpole" and check .......

Dec 2013 photo IMG_9903_zpse69ef0dd.jpg

Dec 2013 photo IMG_9904_zpsdbeb22d7.jpg

photo greenornament_zpse3a9b85a.gif

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haw. fasciata?

Paul,
I just happen to own one myself. My tag saids, 'Zebra Plant Haworthia fasciata'. So you are correct.
Stush

o

Hey, Paul, this is one I got from John K. @ The Root System near Jackson, MI. He has it labeled as H. fasciata 'Superwhite'.

o

Thanks, gents. I couldn't remember if there were any other Haws that had this "look".

photo hangingupwreath_zps2931053c.gif

o

If it is H. fasciata, it will lack tubercles on the upper leaf surface of the leaves (smooth). Otherwise, a form/variety of H. attenuata.

o

So Rosemarie, based on what you said, then the plant Howard posted should be a Haw. attenuate as it definitely has noticeable tubercules on the upper leaf surface?

How smooth would the upper surface be in H. fasciata? Here's a couple more shots of my plant:

photo IMG_9905_zpsfc9b187b.jpg

photo IMG_9906_zpsd207dd35.jpg

You can definitely see some fine bumps/ridges. Would this qualify as "smooth"?

photo hangingupwreath_zps2931053c.gif

o

Wow, Paul...that does put the tubercle or lack of...to the test! Eek! I don't know if that would qualify as "smooth". cactus tumbleweed photo cactustmblwdsmiley_zps3822b00d.gif

Howard's is definitely an attenuata variety.

I'll say~ IF your plant grows in an upward fashion (get taller) over time (maybe if you repot to something bigger than bonsai pot), then yes, fasciata. It sort of looks like it is getting taller.

Here's one of mine for an example: (click for larger view)
 photo ZIMG_3203Haworthiafasciatavariegata1.jpg

o

Rosemarie, mine definitely has bumps on the upper side of the leaves and stripes on the underside, so this makes mine H. attenuata var as opposed to what the tag says, H. fasciata 'Super White'

o

Yes, Howard. :)

o

Yes, Howard. :)

o

Mine looks the same as Howard's. I wish it was more like yours, Rosemarie. I like the colors coming out in the pups. Orange, white/green, and ever an all white one. Nice.

o

Stush, that colors are that Californian sun tan that haworthias and other sucs get when grow with a bit of winter sun.

o

Sorry, I should've told you that it is a variegated plant. No California tan working on it this time. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here