Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

San Pedro Query

kaktuskris
12 years ago

Last year a neighbor gave me his San Pedro cactus (Echinopsis pachanoi, syn. Trichocereus pachanoi,) because he did not have enough light for it, and it had become etiolated. I promptly beheaded the etiolated segment, and a nice long pup developed. I want to remove the arm and root it next Spring if I have a good chance of success. If I remove it, a new pup should develop, right?

I would like to increase my San Pedro, but I value this one, and don't want to risk losing it. Any San Pedro experts on the forum who could advise me on this? Does this cactus root as easily as they say on a certain website where this is plant is sold for other purposes?

Christopher

Comments (10)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I am not an expert, but I know that it roots freely!
    I know of a local professor who chops it up and starts it all over his medicinal garden.

Josh

• hijole
    12 years ago

Kactuskris, I think you will be happy to know that this species will grow on its own almost, let me explain I have actually cut columes off and sat them down on the ground forgot about them and they started rooting right there where they lay, and started shooting new growth straight up from where they were. I even left some inside my garage on the floor to actually collect a skeleton of this species which looks interesting and low and behold it started growing, although the shape was funny looking at any rate it was still trying to survive. I think your only real problem would be to much water & not enough light. Greg

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, then, looks like I will be doing some chopping come Spring!

Christopher

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I agree with all of you, just let the cuts dry out for a while. Perhaps they will make roots and tell you when they need soil, take a sharpie pen and mark the bottom cut, you can lay it on it's side in low light until you see roots in a flat making sure that there is air circulation even from the bottom, that way no mold will form on the bottom cut
    Cactus are dormant right now. Do the surgery when the weather settles for spring. Let us know how it comes out please. I like to read success stories. Good night, hands are getting tired. Norma

• wandering_willow
    12 years ago

I'm certainly no expert, but I have one of these. I was moving and accidental knocked an arm off it. The main plant didn't seem to take any notice and grew a new arm on the other side/top. I dusted the arm that got knocked off with cinnamon, left it laying on the sill for a little over a week, then shoved it in some straight perlite. It has rooted and is growing under some lights now... Very cooperative plants in my experience! Good luck!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Christopher,

I guess if you take on shamanistic airs I'll have cause to worry, but until then...

From Wikipedia
    'Chavin religion involved human transformation or shape shifting, aided by the use of hallucinogenic drugs. Many sculptures have been recovered showing the transformation from a human head to a jaguar head. Carvings depict similar images. The archeological record indirectly supports the culture's use of psychotropic drugs for religious purposes. San Pedro cacti exist in the area and are known to have hallucinogenic effects. The cactus is frequently depicted in the iconography, particularly of the staff god, who is shown holding the cactus as a staff.'

I was trying to find the specific article I saw years ago which depicted tools that the priests are believed to have used to intake the brew rectally , but I struck out.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Strong medicine, indeed....

Josh

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the positive input! I'll give it a go come Spring!

Jeff, maybe I'm better off not seeing those tools you mentioned. That's gotta hurt! If I want enlightenment, I'll go for a Guinness, thank you!

Christopher

• hijole
    12 years ago

WOW!!! That's like totally deep man, have you heard the one about " Ol saint Nick". Yah... Man he had these reindeer that would totally transform into flying reindeer . Yah man and at Christmad time he would make all kinds of terra cotta pots and fill them with all kinds of cacti & succulents and take them all over the world in one night with his reindeers, but be stopped doing this and only works through mail order now and mostly the internet cuz his reindeer lost his super transforming powers to fly all over the world but only does this in southern Calif. For those who set out cookies and hot coco for him in there green houses. He also sometimes brings cuttings and passes them out to those who have been good all year, that's right. And if you have plants that look like there about to die he sprinkled this magic dust on them and they look brand new in the morning and this all happens in one night. That's all for now guys I gotta go...

• hijole
    12 years ago

WOW!!! That's like totally deep man, have you heard the one about " Ol saint Nick". Yah... Man he had these reindeer that would totally transform into flying reindeer . Yah man and at Christmad time he would make all kinds of terra cotta pots and fill them with all kinds of cacti & succulents and take them all over the world in one night with his reindeers, but be stopped doing this and only works through mail order now and mostly the internet cuz his reindeer lost his super transforming powers to fly all over the world but only does this in southern Calif. For those who set out cookies and hot coco for him in there green houses. He also sometimes brings cuttings and passes them out to those who have been good all year, that's right. And if you have plants that look like there about to die he sprinkled this magic dust on them and they look brand new in the morning and this all happens in one night. That's all for now guys I gotta go...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!